Chinchilla Vacation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
Help. Please someone answer. I'm going on a family vacation on July 4th for about 2 nights. It takes 6-8 hours to get there, it's next to a beach, and it's a pet friendly air conditioned hotel. My mom says I can bring my chinchilla and of course they are going to bring my dog. My chinchilla has been on the plane with me before twice and it was longer than 8 hours. well I only have a carrier cage and a ferret nation for now, and theres no way i can leave him in the carrier for he will chew his way out and go crazy, so i might buy a small portable cage. My chinchillas lived in many different places, but he's never been on a family 'vacation.' I was wondering if I should take my chinchilla, and if it's worth the 6-8 hour trip. If I should, what I should bring, and what portable temporary cage is recommended. I will have to beg my parents to get a temporary cage too because they think he'll be fine in his carrier and they say that i can let him out in the hotel room lol. Everytime I go on vacation, I'm constantly worrying about my chinchilla and I won't feel at ease at all unless he's with me. The car will be air conditioned of course.

Small cage w/ a hidey house and some hanging toys and loose sticks is all mine get besides food, water and hay when they go with me on vacation, I use collapsible bridgeport cages, they are 18x18/18. Mine have been all over and I have never had any problems with them, even rescues.

If you are really worried about them and are concerned about taking them for a two night thing, could you maybe find a chin sitter? After all, it's only two days, right? Bringing them with you is awesome, but if you are worried and you think they might be stressed, it might be worth just getting a chin sitter. :)

We've only gone away for weekends but always bring the chinchillas in carrier cages. It's not much room so we offer extra out time and they do great. Last time Oscar threw little temper tantrums which were really cute but he held no grudges. Once home they all go back to normal.

If you take him do out times in the bathroom because they can climb into box springs in the hotel room.

Back