Chinchilla Taming

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

I've had my baby girl for a little over a week now. She will come straight to my hand when I have a treat.. and there's the problem! She now seems to think I ALWAYS have a treat. She won't even let me pet her, she'll run right up to my hand and try to bite away at my fingers because she thinks I'm feeding her. How can I get her to understand I just want to pet/hold her, and NOT always give her treats? She wont' let me touch her unless she's eating lol She's such a smart little girl.. a little too smart if you ask me. She's almost 10 weeks old by the way, and she is my only chinchilla.

First, I am sorry to have to tell you, is a 10 week old chinchilla should not be given treats at all. You need to wait "till she is 6 months old to give her treats. She may make noises and act like she doesn't want to be held but she will always be that way if you don't start holding her. Just pick her up, it will not traumatize her. Handle her often and she will eventually get used to it.

you can try safe /wood sticks too...my chin LOVES sticks and when I offer one she will go crazy for them ...there are some thin willow ones that I give to my chin when shes begging at the cage door since I cant let her out all the day ...

Yes my new baby chin did that too. They have to build your trust. My baby is 5 months old now and is the sweetest chin ever. We are always at the chinchilla cages playing with them. After awhile its almost like you can read their minds on what they are going to do next or want to do. It doest take them long to figure out what the cage door opening means. Lol!!!!

Back