Chinchilla Sleeping Area

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott86

Hello all. My chinchilla likes to clear its area in his sleeping house of the bedding I use. he kicks it all to the sides or outside. A problem? I got him about six months ago and use the same bedding the previous owner used for several years. Also he likes to pee on the newspaper i put under the bedding in his sleeping house as well which is a concern to me because i dont want him sleeping in wetness.
Thank you

I'm a novice chin owner but I heard the newspaper is not a good thing due to the potential for GI problems and the dyes.

My little girl does that too. But I also see her trying to burrow in the fleece. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I've read they really like to burrow :). So I give her some in her sleeping house (as opposed to her cool off house) so she can mess around with it!

As far as the peeing, we're slowly making progress with ours by leaving a small dish in the corner of her cage with soiled bedding. I see her stop and pee there a lot. But it's been a bit of a struggle. She liked to pee on her houses and other places.

The ink is usually non-toxic, but the dye can stain his belly and the paper can cause a blockage when ingested, as previously stated. (See this thread.)

Two of mine kick the shavings out of their houses, so that behavior is nothing to be worried about. Seems to be more of a personal preference than anything. I'd remove the newspaper. Shavings absorb urine perfectly fine when used alone.

Back