Chinchilla Shows

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danderson

I have had chins for years and have never been able to attend a show...I would very much like to do that now but honestly have no idea which ones would be the best to go to...I would really love to pick up a few awesome animals...Is this best done at a claiming show? Or can you purchase at any of the shows? Any info you can give me would be very helpful! Thanks very much!

You can purchase chinchillas at any shows you attend. The closest shows to you would be the California shows or the Colorado shows. There's not really any "best" show to attend as they are all great events! I would say for a beginner, the best shows to attend would be the field days/claiming shows. Those tend to be a bit more relaxed and the judge takes a lot of time explaining the faults and qualities of the animals and also lets members from the audience go up to the table for a closer look. This is not done at state shows as they are sanctioned and usually have more strict rules. We can make our own rules for the field days.

Right now, I'm only able to attend the CA shows, but if you'd like someone to carpool with, it's a four hour drive to me and depending on the show it is either 2 or 4 hours from my place.

Whenever I'm able to attend the CO shows (hopefully 2012) I'll be driving right through Vegas and would have no problem picking you up!

All the upcoming chinchilla shows will be state, regional, or national sanctioned shows. The next claiming show will either be late spring or next fall.
There will be a Oklahoma state show in December. I think the CA show is in January (need to double check :) ) and the Colorado state show is early Febuary. I think those are the closest ones to you.

Actually the CA show is in January. There is a seperate thread of it put on. I will see if I can get more info on the CO show. I think it is Feb. 6th (correct me if I am wrong :)). I will let you know if there are any more shows around your area but as of late I think these shows are the closest.

On a different note- there is a Annual meeting in... CO this year in early November. If you want more info Kansas City Chinchillas put up a thread about it. It is only open to ECBC (Empress Chinchilla Breeder Cooperative) members only though. I have heard they are really imformative and this year they are having a really good vet from WI come to speak at it.

A really great claiming show is the Western Colorado Branch in Crawford, CO.

It is in the coolest little town, just out in the middle of nowhere in some of the most gorgeous country you have ever seen, and well attended. The host ranchers, Roger and Kathy Clark, are well known for their hospitality.

There are always gorgeous chins there to claim and I agree, the fact that you get to help judge with the judges is invaluable in learning what makes a quality animal. I have learned so much over the years at field days.

Even though I am "only" a pet owner, I am also a member of ECBC and always say that if I win the Lotto, then I'll be a chinchilla rancher!!! The people are the greatest and the fellowship is the best!!!

As Luke Faussett once told me, "The Crawford show is the one show I never miss"!!! It's true -- it's a 6 1/2 hour drive from Denver for me, but I have gone for the last 3 years and plan to attend next year. It is usually held in mid to late April. So start making your plans...

If you are interested joining ECBC in time to attend the Annual Meeting, please let someone know...we would love to have a new member!!! It is being held November 5-7 in Fort Colllins, CO. Details are in the thread for it.

The CO show is actually the 5th. Sorry :))
Claiming shows are a better learning excperience but overall they are all fun.

Thanks for all your replies! My plan is to attend the one in April which is in Frazier Park I think....

Yep! We aren't solid on a date for the show yet, but it will be the first or second weekend of April in Frazier Park. I will post all of the information for that field day after the state show, or Sumiko will post it.

There is also the Crawford show in CO that is in April. I have heard really good things from it. One day I will got to all the shows! :))

Back