Chinchilla prolapse penis, need help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DioAlvin

hello i have a male chinchilla(his name xiaobai, 1 year 3 months old, that have been prolapse for 1 month.

Here are the story,

on middle of july 2014, i found my male chinchilla(xiaobai) penis prolapse(not swelling,redness or swollen etc) in the evening, once i saw my chinchilla having his penis prolapse, he start to lose his appetite day by days and laying down quite often, not so active as before, but drink still normal/drink more then usual sometime, so i decide to bring xiaobai to our local animal clinic, once the vet told me it was nothing wrong with his penis and the vet able gently push back his penis, he also told me chinchilla penis prolapse will come and go sometime , so i feeling much better to hear no problem with xiaobai, after xiaobai back from the clinic the day after, his appetite become lesser and lesser, but he still drinking alot of water sometime(60-70ml a day), so i observe xiaobai for 2 weeks, and everyday eat abit of oxbow grass hay & pellet, he leave the bowl of hay and pellet untouched, so every 4 hour i would change his bowl of foods, he start to stop pooping , everyday he only have a few small poop, weird round shape, irregular size, so i decide bring him to animal clinic again to find a senior vet which have well know for chinchilla, after the vet look into the problem i have told the vet when it happen, he reply me that maybe his having some digestive system problem tat build up gas in chinchilla stomach, and he told me the penis prolapse nothing to worry about cause there is not swelling/swollen/redness etc, and the penis look normal, so the vet only give me a medication call cisapride give him every 0.4cc every 4 hours (3 times daily), after i bring xiaobai back home , i start to give him the cisapride medi he take it with no problem at all it seem he like the taste of the cisapride medi, after i give him the sec time of the cisapride medi , he start to poop quite alot, but the poop of the shape still look weird and not normal size, no problem on urine and start to eat quite alot of oxbow grass hay & alfalfa hay, drink 60-80 ml of water a day now, after he took the cisapride medi couple of days , sometime it seem tat he don eat again, sit at corner with eyes half closing like he in pain /illness , but he still eating quite alot and drink alot of water. Every time i apply ky jelly on the penis and gently push it back and its when in , after an hour or couple of hours , his penis come out again, then i will need to put it back again , everyday i do this more then 4-5 times daily, but he keep like chewing or bit his penis more often like 5-6 time a day or more , but there is no hair ring or swelling etc.

sometime he still eat and drink alot, will it still be dental problem ?

because if chinchilla having dental problem or pain in tooth he/she will stop eating or drink right?

i look all over the internet , lot of chinchilla breeder say that when chinchilla penis prolapse due to both pain/illness/ dental problem , once he fully recover from illness or pain , the penis will retract itself and everything back to normal. is that true ??????

anyone have this problem before? can share with me how to solve it ?

please i really need advice & help!

already been 1 month now :(

Thank Alot !!!

It is usually a sign of pain when there is no hair ring, malo chins get this problem frequently. I don't remember it being a issue with all the digestive problem chins I had but its possible. The only other problem I have encountered with this symptom was a chin who had a stroke, he was 4-5 years old, this one I think is too young without the other symptoms the stroke chin presented.

Someone who owned one of my chins had these symptoms from a hair ring. The chin did not have any other problem and recovered after the hair ring was removed. However, as Dawn said it could be dental problems. Since you can check for hair rings yourself it certainly is worth doing.

i did a hair ring check everyday, there wont any fur that stuck on his penis either, should it be dental problem (molar overgrowth?) but he alway sit in the hide house or stay at a corner his eye half close/totally close .. cos my chinchilla vet is on leave still next tue, so i took my chinchilla to the clinic and see another vet , he say there is no swelling/redness on his penis, hear that chinchilla in pain on the teeth will cause him penis unable to retract, is it true?

anyone experience chinchilla penis unable to retract ? but there is no hair ring etc .

Any advice are welcome !

Thank you !

The penis problem with dental chins is two fold-one when they are in dental pain the penis will not retract and two when it is retracted they do not clean it and it needs to be cleaned by you. If this was my chin, it would be put under, have a complete oral exam with periodontal probing and dental x-rays, with a full body x-ray if nothing was found in the head area. If nothing there was found, I would have the chin put on pain meds to see if that corrected the problem.

he under metacam pain killer and that wont help also , but he still active and eat quite alot a days. if lack of exercise will cause prolapsed penis or having constipation that stomach have gas will cause prolapse also ?

Back