Chinchilla eating hair

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I have long hair that goes down past my shoulders. Sometimes when I clean the cage, Orville promptly runs over, grabs a clump near the end, holds it in his hand like a pellet or a strand of hay, and starts to consume it from the bottom up.

He isn't grooming me. He is literally trying to consume my hair. Is this normal or healthy?

my chins do it to when they climb on my head, or i have to stick it into their cage to clean something. I don't think its that unusual, but then again, mine try to eat every/anything. However I don't believe id call it healthy. I cant think of anything that that would be healthy for. Id Say do what you can to avoid letting them eat your hair.

Starry this gave me quite a giggle, Amp does the same thing, especially if I'm fresh out of the shower and still smell like conditioner. If you come up with a magical solution to getting Orville to stop, I'd love to know what it is, it seems the more I pull my hair away from her the more fun she has trying to grab a pawfull. Everything is a game to her xD

Back