Chinchilla broke/sprained hind foot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amputation is cheaper than treatment in the long run, I have dealt with osteomyelitis in a malo chin, the treatment was brutal and the chin was eventually put down, the treatment was invasive debridment of the bone, biopsy and antibiotic beads and lifelong antibiotic therapy, chin did not make it that far, the infection still took over and the chin was put down. I would seriousy ask about amputation.

I went to the vet this morning. It was the vet that saw my chin the day after he broke his toes. she told me he is walking much better than that day, since it has been a whole month since she's seen him. She believes the bones are healing and applied a bandage rather than a splint to prevent him from chewing his leg. He's on metacam again. She said the bone doesn't look infected. He has also gained 10g since Monday. She is basically telling me the opposite of the vet I saw on Monday. (they're at the same facility). I did ask her about amputation and she said it wasn't necessary because he's healing slowly. She said to keep him on the Baytril anyway. He is still not eating and I am force feeding him 20ml Critical Care. His poops are much smaller and less frequent, but he is pooping nevertheless. I have let him run around my bathroom and have been giving him tummy rubs. I have added acidophilus to the critical care as well.

Chins who are fed their full ration of food need at least 60ml of critical care a day, some need 100ml a day. Since the chin has gained but the poo is smaller, the chin must be eating some on its own but I would increase the critical care to 30-40ml a day to help with poo size and increase to at least 60ml if the chin loses weight.

The last couple days, chin has been a bit happier, most likely because his bandage is just gauze and tape (no splint) and he is on painkillers. His poop is almost normal size :) and he gets a good amount out since ive been letting him run rampant in the bathroom for half an hour a day. He is eating some pellets and grass on his own, so I have left the critical care ate 20ml daily (he is also looking a bit chubbier). I can't wait until he is all better

1 week ago he was 535g, which was 65 more than the week prior!. The force feedings caused him to gain weight (thank god ). Since then, I weaned him off of his force feed and let him run around for half an hour every night and he is now 518g. His poops are nearly normal size, and he is walking with no limp whatsoever. The vet said I can take him off of Baytril since it was just a possible bone infection. When I asked about how sure they were of it to be a bone infection, one radiologist said "maybe", and the 2 vets and another radiologist said "no". Over the course of the week I was told to wean him off of his Metacam as well.

I hope he will be eating normally when the antibiotics are gone. What's most exciting is that his bandage came off today after being bandaged for over a month. I will be watching carefully to make sure he doesn't bite his leg again.

The vet said I can put back the upper levels of his cage in a week although I feel she is being a bit too optimistic. I'll probably put them back in about a month or two. Lately he has been a happy guy and is starting to make his playful talking noise again.

Wow, I just came across this thread and am so happy to hear it sounds like your little guy is making a full recovery! That is great news and we sure appreciate the updates!

My last post should be deleted - it is an utter fail at posting pictures. I have just reduced the sizes.
Chinny before accident. (plywood has since been replaced with kd pine)
aEe77.png

first splint done by cheap vet - gave pressure sores
AWnHE.png

2nd splint that was better
9cp1a.png

His bandage without splint
y3luK.png

Him and grandma today
rl9HX.png

Once again, thank you everyone for your kind advice and support.

Latest posts

Back