Chinchilla BLOATING HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
So since yesterday night I noticed my chinchilla was on his side and was lethargic. He kept stretching his stomach really low and no poop, no energy, and not eating. He would sit in his litterbox focusing on pooping. I had simethicone. I gave him twice with few hours apart.

Today morning, I took him to emergency vet. He pooped very tiny small round poops which are a sign of constipation. The vet gave him fluids, Buprenorphine 0.3 mg (Pain reliever), and Cisapride.

They had no injectable reglan. I took him home, he seems sedated from the medicine and all he wants to do is sleep. He's so tired, doesn't move at all, doesn't poop, nor eat. He won't even swallow or move his mouth. It's been about 8 hours since being at the vet. I try feeding him critical care but he doesn't move his mouth so its impossible to feed him. I don't know what to do. Right now he is just lifeless, breathing, and sleeping. Please help on what to do, what is wrong, and anything that will help him. Please pray for him.

This is a good thread for some tips on dealing with bloat/stasis

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6553

The pain med given is a opioid so the chin will be lethargic, but what you describe seems more than that. The chin may be in stasis so the situation is a emergency and if this was my chin I would take it back to the vet for more aggressive treatment. Reglan and propulsid can be given orally and the simethcone you can give a dropper full every 3-4 hours, you cannot overdose it. Pain management is extremely important since the chin can easily go into shock but the double edge sword here is the strong pain meds will slow the GI tract down and can stop it. Any time you deal with bloat/stasis there is a real change it won't end well even with the best medical care I am sad to say.

Last edited:
Back