Chin with tooth issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaspity

Hi, I have a 7-8 yr old chinnie who we have had for the past 4 1/2 years (i think we're his 3rd home?) who has developed tooth issues this past march. He started drooling so we took him in and were told his teeth were very badly misaligned,etc. He was good for a couple months, but has progressively had to be brought in sooner and sooner to get his teeth trimmed.

I took him in this past sat to have his teeth done again, and I was told one of his incisors was broken and it fell out pretty much when they opened his mouth up. I thought they said there weren't any spurs to trim at that point. He has started drooling more, and has lost more weight in the past few days. I have started critical care, and he has an appointment to see the vet again tomorrow.

What I want to know is, how long do you go on for? The vet has told me his teeth will never get better, and we can just keep him comfortable? If you have been in this situation, how long did you keep going?

He's a wonderful chin. He runs up to you to rub his belly and will roll his eyes back and thrust his head back to get the most scratches he can. When hes not having a tooth funk, he'll run on his wheel and seems active. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want him to get to that point either...if that makes sense.

nobody can tell you when it is time. you will know when it is time to let go. I try to remember that QUALITY of life is more important than quantity. I also try to understand that they go to a much better place, with no pain or suffering and get to play without feeling tired for the rest of eternity... believing this makes letting go so much easier for me. I am so sorry that you must go through this.

Have you had any xrays done? If there are no spurs and he is still drooling he may have root problems which are very painful. Unfortunately there is no cure for teeth problems like this and any rescues that come in with similar problems are pts.

Is he getting adequate pain relief? Regular Metacam doses would likely highly improve his quality of life. X rays would be a good idea as well, just to check roots.

Also, if his tooth actually broke off, could that mean he's low in calcium? What colour are his teeth?

The vet said she can tell by looking at his mouth that the bones/teeth are all shifting and that an xray would just confirm that. Thats why I haven't gotten one. She also said that if the roots are too deep at the top of the mouth you would get sinus/nasal issues, and abcesses if they are too deep on the lower jaw.

She didn't mention anything about calcium, but he gets oxbow chinchilla pellets which I assumed would have the right amount of calcium? My vet mentioned he may have had root pressures, or chewed on a cage bar and broke it (I've never seen him do that, but you never know?)... It looks like the broken incisor is growing back. They are an orangey color.

He's on pain meds for the week and antibiotics in case there was an infection starting...

Now I'm at a wait and see. I don't think its looking good. He doesn't seem to be eating much other than what I'm feeding him (critical care). And hes been on meds since thursday, so he should have perked up by now if the meds were fixing something? He does like the critical care, and will eat it mostly by himself from the syringe...but I don't think chins are meant to be hand fed everyday....

Back