Chin Weight issue.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellaluna

Since I got Poppy In November the only issue I have had with her is her weight. Every time she makes it over 500 grams she drops down again she is now at the same weight as when I got her! She eats alot. I have two bowls in case there is bullying going on. Poppy is the dominant chin but I am not sure that goes as far as food too. Should I try a different food? (She is currently on Oxbow) Should I separate them? Should I put her back on lifeline? I don't know what to do but I want her to keep some weight on.

here are her weight logs
11/9/10-470
11/16/10-469
11/23/10-466
12/6/11-460
01/6/11-459
02/7/11-505
03/12/11-506
------Moved in with Kali (Roughly I forgot to write it in my book)
04/13/11-494
05/12/11-506
06/14/11-497
07/13/11-478

Any help would be greatly appreciated! <3

Last edited:
It is possible and I have thought that but it just seems so promising when I get her at like 504. I think I may just be losing my marbles and just worrying too much... I am known to do that.
she is also about "2" years old

i had the same worry about Rhino when he came home. he weighed 525 and i thought that was small due to all of you here having roly poly chins, lol. Rhino hasn't budged more than 5 or 10 grams from that weight since the day he came home. he's about 18 months old (found out his actual birthday recently, yay! Dec 23).

i posted about this weight worry and was told that some chins are just smaller, and not to worry as long as he is healthy/eating/pooping.

i think if Poppy is eating well and there are no other health issues, then she could just be one of those smaller chins. She seems to have gained a lot between January and February though, and lost 20 in a month here recently. what changed/happened in those times?

Nothing has changed and that is the only thing that really worries me. I thought for a second that it might be because it is summer... but then that wouldnt matter we have had a/c on the whole time... It freaks me out when she drops weight for no reason :(

As long as she is eating well, drinking, and her elimination is fine, I wouldn't worry. She is probably just a small chin. What does she get for exercise? Does she have a wheel?

She doesn't have a wheel and I started limiting her play time in hopes that she would bulk up but no luck. I think she likes to freak me out and that she is a small chin. I would just love for her weight to settle above 500grams. I have also realized that their is Mazuri sold in my town would that be a good food to look into?

As long as the weight fluctuates up and down and there is not a continued loss she may just be a small chin.

I thought the same about my chin Elmo, from 4mths to about 3 yrs old, his weight stayed in the 400-500 range, ubut suddenly he seemed to go into a late growth spurt or something. He is now 6yrs old, and weighing 637g.
He's been on oxbow all his life, so it's nothing to do with food.
So just give him some time.

If Poppy is on a good food (which Oxbow is) and she is eating it, I wouldn't go switching her to another food personally.

has she seen a vet to rule out any health issues? Assuming she's healthy I agree with other's that she may just be a small girl.

One of my boys is small - about the same as Poppy. BUT in his case he's not a big chewer so I have to watch his wiehgt and if he goes below 475 he goes in to have his teeth checked since once he did need a filing. But for the most part as long as I give him a wide vareity of things to chew on his teeth stay OK - but he's still small

Back