Chin Spin Plywood Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
I finally broke down and ordered a wheel for my kids. Well, for one of them. I guess I'll have to rotate it between them for now.
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone ever tried to seal the plywood backing on a Chin Spin? Bare wood to me just screams issues, and I assume if the chinnies can't get a hold of the wood to chew it, they shouldn't be able to get a hold of it if it were to be sealed with some sort of clear coat. I would think it would resist pee-damage and be easier to wipe clean if it were finished. Or even something like Mod Podge--super easy, clear and glossy, durable and I assume non toxic.

Thoughts????

I have a chin spin that is over 5 years old, and heavily used, and the back looks the same as when I got it. There really isn't a way for the chin to really get to it so it is left alone.

Absolutely no problem here with either of the Chin Spins and I've had the first one for about 2.5 years now. Just ordered my third one today and a fourth next pay cheque. :))

I have used Chin Spins for 5 years now and none of my boys have gotten to the wood. I have 4 of them. There's really no way for them to get to it that I can see. Many, many people use the Chin Spins with no problems. I wouldn't want to put any chemicals on it to seal it.

Well 5 years is a good long time, that makes me feel better. I do remember coming across a post a while back about someone's chin who like to pee in in the wheel and the plywood was affected by it, which was my concern. Neither of my chins pee on their shelves, so hopefully this will translate to not peeing on the wheel.

Thanks for the reassurance :thumbsup:

It's such a smooth flat surface that they can't really chew on it, but it does sometimes get sprayed, lol. But you can use hydrogen peroxide to get pee off of wood, just make sure to wipe it down thorougly with water afterwards.

Back