Chin Spin Bearings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
Does anyone know exactly what bearings Quality Cages uses for their chin spins? I am in need of 6 sets of bearings, and they raised their prices to literally double what they were two months ago. I would love to find out which bearings they are so that I could compare prices elsewhere.

I have the new bearings they started using a couple years ago and they are flanged ball bearings from Freeway. Looking at the spec pictures, I think it is the PA series flanged ball bearing. Mine look just like the one on the top right of the page linked. I think it's around 32mm in outer diameter (28 without the flange), about 9 mm in inner diameter (i'm not too sure how to measure that if it's the open space or the entire inner race thingy), 10mm in width. I don't know the standard sizes for ball bearings so whatever size is closest to that.

Now, I don't know whether they are just using different bearings since 2008 and they are interchangeable. So all this info I told you could be useless to you, but the picture on the quality cage site with the old bearings looks flanged too. I think flanged bearings are more expensive in general, so maybe look into if you can get away with another type of ball bearing.

Last edited:
I would be interested as well...I'm trying to rack my brain to remember what year I got the Chin Spin in that needs it's bearings replaced. I was going to buy some from QC but wasn't going to pay the "$5 low order" charge in addition to the newly raised prices... :rolleyes:

I only needed to buy one bearing, I think my total came to $7 or something..and they tacked on a low order fee of $5. :wacko: I'm not sure how much you have to spend or buy so they don't add that fee on there...

Well that low order fee seems...counterintuitive. I thought it was $7 for a set of two bearings? So you're probably better off just getting the pair and maybe sell one to Crysta, haha!!

Stacie--you could look at the pictures and look at your bearings to figure it out. The picture of the older ones on the QC web site seems more rounded on the edges, that's the biggest difference I can see:

ChinSpin-Bearings.jpg

The newer ones look like this minus the piece of graham cracker on the edge of it (making cheesecake!!):
bearing-3.jpg

Crysta,
After seeing this pic you can get them at Lowe's like we spoke about yesterday.
Ask them in the hardware section. I think they will be where the stuff is for sliding glass doors.
I checked awhile back because I was going to get creative and try and make my own wheel........ uh no!

Does anybody know what the inside diameter for the bearing is (what size bolt goes thru it? 3/8"? 1/2"?) I know for the new post October 2008 wheels the outside diameter is 1-1/4.

Crysta -- how much would it cost you for 6 sets with shipping and whatever else they charge? I've got a couple places I can check and let you know if they are cheaper. Just need to know the inside diameter first.

Steve--I think it's 3/8". That would be my estimation for the newer bearings, since when I briefly measured it it was 9mm.

So

I don't think QC has their bearing size correctly listed on the website, I think that they are 1-1/8" because 1-1/4" is pretty much non-existent. Anywho, I found 20 of the size I think they use for $44.44, also 10 for $28.something. Is this cheaper than ordering from QC?

For the record.... I think the bearings go out more often than they should because they use shielded bearings, which doesn't block dust from getting inside. You can see the balls in the bearing in Caiti's pic. The ones I would get are fully sealed so dust won't get in and shorten their life.

Maybe someone can mail me an old bearing so I can determine exactly what size they are?

Does anybody know what the inside diameter for the bearing is (what size bolt goes thru it? 3/8"? 1/2"?) I know for the new post October 2008 wheels the outside diameter is 1-1/4.

Crysta -- how much would it cost you for 6 sets with shipping and whatever else they charge? I've got a couple places I can check and let you know if they are cheaper. Just need to know the inside diameter first.

I emailed them and they needed to know if my wheels were before or after 2008. I emailed them back, but it was this morning, and I think they are out on the weekends. When I get a response back from them I will let you know.

Thank you!

Maybe someone can mail me an old bearing so I can determine exactly what size they are?

I am sure I have an old bearing around here somewhere. Can you PM me your address?

Edit: Found one!

Last edited:
Did anyone ever find out where else you could get the bearings for the chin spins? I have an older one but not sure what year it was made because it came with my chins and the lady I got the from couldn't remember. I have the newer chin spins and the bearings for them are way to big and I don't know how to measure them...lol I also checked my Lowes and they don't carry them. I email quality cage but haven't heard anything back yet. Mine are squealing and my brother told me to put mineral oil in them to re-grease them but I wasn't sure if that was even safe for my chin.

I had taken my bearing off and took it to a bearing supply store. They measured it for me. Have you checked for bearing stores in your area? I tried lowes too and yes they don't carry bearings.

Back