Chin-sitting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FayeEsquire

My boyfriend and I are going to be going on a trip next weekend where we will be gone for about three days. I'm a bit concerned with what is the best set up for my chinchilla while we are gone.

We have been thinking of leaving him with my boyfriend's mother. I have a smaller cage that we can take over where he'd be set up in a quiet room with the option for playtime if he feels comfortable enough to get out of his cage. (He's pretty adventurous and inquisitive. Do you think that's even a good idea?)

Otherwise the other option would be for him to stay at the house with my roommates. He would be in his normal room but my roommates wouldn't be home or willing to really interact with him. So outside of just having someone feed him, he would be in his cage for three days.

What's the best setting for a 8-month old chinchilla?

From my experience chins are creatures of habit. Some are very skittish with change. Three days without interaction probably won't be as upsetting as moving them to a strange place will be.

Play time with people who aren't used to him is asking for trouble. I have heard some horror stories. Not having play time won't hurt him for that short of a time. Who do you feel most comfortable leaving him with?

Personally, my boyfriend's mom. She's stopped by a few times to see him and I know she'll listen to any instructions on his care.

Would it be best to tell her to not let him out?

When I have gone out of town for a few days I always make arrangements for someone to check on her daily but I leave her in her room. This way she gets fresh food and is checked on once a day. I think this is better than her being put in a different enviornment even though she'll be lonely its only for a few days.

Be sure whom ever it is leave some instructions for an emergency. There is nothing more stressful for someone than pet sitting and something like that comes up.

Back