Chin not eating post operation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfhussain

Our male chinchilla was neutered on Friday after we had sought advice on what to do following our baby surprise. Two days later and though he has improved he is still a concern, though we have limited experience on unwell chinchillas and maybe we're expecting too much after two days. I'll write the important details below

The operation was around 12:00 on Friday, and he came around about 13:00. We were given food solution (which includes pellets and water) to feed him if he wasn't eating on his own and have given him that yesterday and this morning. We have seen him eat a bit of roughage as well. We have been unable to find poo, though he is eating less than he would normally. His mobility has improved, but not a great deal. And we took him to the vets yesterday where he was given injections for pain and infection.

Any advice?

He needs to be syringe fed with the solution from the vet regardless of what he is nibbling on his own(until he is consuming all foods as before then wean off feedings).Smaller feeding frequently every couple of hours will work better than twice a day. Pain meds and antibiotics both can affect appetite and chins must eat to avoid bloat.Some probiotics and baby gas drops might help too.

What time of food solution is it? Type of antibiotics? Type of anesthesia used on him?

Some anesthetics take longer to wear off. We like to use gas anesthesia on our chins as once they are off the gas they wake up very quickly. Force feed several times a day with critical care. If he is on SMZ antibiotics-great. If on baytril I would ask if they could switch him to SMZ or Bactrim (they are the same drug). Baytril is hard on their bellies, will make them go off feed if you don't flavor it a little, and kind of an overkill. We use Bactrim on our spays/neuters/c-sections, fractures, abscesses, and upper respiratory. The chins tolerate it well and do not go off feed with it.

Jessica

Food solution is called recovery and antibiotics is baytrill. We have had problems using the solution in the syringe, it is thicker than we expected, even after grinding it down and adding water, and had problems giving the solution once it was in the syringe as well. I've searched for alternatives to increasing appetite and will not use Baytril and request the alternative SMZ/Bactrim as per the above response. Any advice is appreciated

I need to edit my recent post but cannot as it is under moderation. But once it appears i have an update. We've gotten the recover solution to work by filing the end of the syringe and in effect using it as a pipette (we're going to look for a pipette tomorrow). And shortly after he pooed and it was normal.

ps. My post before this basically confirmed that the antibiotics was Baytril, and we won't use it following the above advice, and will request SMZ instead. The solution is called recovery and we were having problems using the syringe.

Last edited:
I would consult with your veterinarian first before you stop the medication. He may have reasons for you to use that particular drug...but I would tell him your concerns about him being off feed and the use of baytril.

I would not stop the baytril, there may be a reason this stronger antibiotic was used, internet advice should not override your vets, since the vet has actually SEEN the chin.

When my boys were neutered, they were only baytril as well as far as I can rmb, this was about 8 yrs ago, Elmo started eating on his own by third day, but I had to force feed Gumby for about 2 weeks before I saw him eat willingly, it was a tough time then, getting up every few hours to fight CC into him and scared i would hurt him, I really thought i would lose him, I remember going back to the vet asking why he wasn't eating, the vet prescribed him with cisapride, but didn't know why he wasn't eating, I didn't know baytril was that hard on their guts then. We had a tough beginning, only getting a few ml into him each time, to gradually switching the syringe to a spoon, then till the end, when I was trying to wean him off the CC, he was literally waiting on his ledge ready for breakfast in bed, very very rewarding experience I must say.
Maybe u could ask the vet for some opinion and gut mobility drugs.
Give him probiotics 2 hrs before or after the antibiotics too.
Good luck

Thanks for all the responses, i've taken all on board and will speak to vet at 4.20 (that's 2 hours from now as well). He is not himself but he is eating some and pooing as well.

Back