Chin not Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meggles07

Crazy Chin Mom
I am new to being a Chinchilla owner and have only had Scoops for about a week but I am noticing the wood blocks I have in her cage don't really get any attention. Is it because she isn't used to her new surroundings? Is there a safe way to make the wood blocks more appealing or should I just look into a new chewing alternative? She is eating and drinking fine and always has tons of energy but I don't want her lack of chewing to lead to issues down the road.

She might just still be settling, or she might not like the wood you're using. My guys will only chew apple, pear and cottonwood. It was a long and arduous process to figure that out, too! Your best bet is to buy a variety box from someone on the forum so that you can figure out her likes and dislikes. I buy all of my wood from Ronda and am convinced there's a chinchilla version of catnip in there because they gobble it all right up!

Good luck!

Definitely try different types and shapes of wood. One of my girls is not a wood chewer but she will eat some apple and mulberry woods. I got a sample pack from Ronda and was able to see what she liked.
It is definitely trial and error, just keep giving her different woods and hopefully you will find stuff she likes.

My chins don't like wood blocks. They are picky. Anything out of the petstore they won't really touch, except the pumice triangles.

I would definitely try getting her some wood from one of the suppliers here on the board. Rhonda has excellent wood and you could get a variety pack.

How old is your chin, younger chins don't seem to chew as much in my experience. Most of mine like the smaller twigs as well.

How old is your chin, younger chins don't seem to chew as much in my experience. Most of mine like the smaller twigs as well.

I don't know how much I agree with that, as I have two that are barely over a year and chew pretty consistently throughout the day. My older ones don't chew nearly as much. They're also more inclined to throw the unwanted wood at me though, which is beyond entertaining!

I have 3 and they are all different. Zuzu and Recess who are housed together LOVE pumace and most woods. Chewy is more picky about what he likes. It has taken me a while to figure out what they like too. It's kind of a trial and error process. I get some of my chew toys from Feisty Chinchillas Rescue - I get great products and all my money goes toward a good cause.

Out of my 2 boys Woodrow is not a big twig chewer, he's a shredder. If I give him a twig he takes it, smells it, and then throws it, literally LOL. However he LOVES vine products and finger traps, which you can get from Ronda as well. He'll tear up a large vine ball overnight. Also, your chin may like only like wood with the bark on it and if doesn't have any they may ignore it. Both my boys are like that.

Back