Chin lost outside- need help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the sounds of her email, the chin might not even be outside. I think I'd be looking all over for him inside as well. It seems pretty unlikely to me that a chin would go down a bunch of stairs without being noticed by the owner unless the chin wasn't being watched at all.

I explained all that to her as well. I initially thought the chinchilla was inside. She emailed me back and told me her son found droppings going down the stairs outside.

Yeah, the chin seems to for sure be outside. They are getting a live trap now, hopefully it works!

While Carol Anne and Pip's story is great I also had a chin who escaped. Bobo ate a hole through the screen window and escaped. She was found 7 miles away from our house. A miracle as she had to cross through woods and fields and avoid the Root River. Lucky for me she was found the same day/night she escaped. The hot and humid weather in Wisconsin in the summer would have been the kiss of death for her.
I do hope they find this chin, as I've been grateful everyday to the man who found Bobo and turned her into the human society.

A few years back. I had a crafty chin that got out of her cage. She did not get outside but she got under the dish washer and would not come out. I turned off the lights and put out a dust bath and sat the for a while. She finally came out and jumped in, and I snatched her up. I would suggest they put out a dust bath in the hall or something just to make sure. The poo on the steeps just may belong to another animal. But still would not hurt to put a dust pan outside and sit, sit, sit and wait also.

Chantel.. Crysta.. this lady emailed me as well early this morning. Glad we are all giving her the same info.

the only thing i might add is to put up signs everywhere. If she has a picture to put with it that might help to since not all people know what a chin is. If she can afford it, offer a reward. Someone might look a little harder of they think money is involved or if someone has her a reward might be the difference of her being returned. Also might want to put some hay going back up the stairs to her floor. Good luck

I would wake up early in the morning and look for Squeak. It's a good idea to take a bath house and shake it to make some noise. Usually when chins escape whey stay close to the house for several days. Time is running out, they need to go and look for him. Just think where you would go for cover if you were scared and that little after going down the stairs. It's useful to get close to the ground, so you can see better where the chin could go. There is a chance!
I hope Squeak gets found!
When my bird flew away I found her next morning at about 5.45 a.m behind my neighbors air conditioner!
:prayer:

I think a live trap would be their best bet at this point (aside from endless searching) I really hope they find the little one. Best wishes!

I Hope you find him soon. Keep looking and let us know how it goes. Best Wishes also!!

the only thing i might add is to put up signs everywhere. If she has a picture to put with it that might help to since not all people know what a chin is. If she can afford it, offer a reward. Someone might look a little harder of they think money is involved or if someone has her a reward might be the difference of her being returned. Also might want to put some hay going back up the stairs to her floor. Good luck
This is exactly what I was going to say. Put some signs up in the neighbourhood and offer a reward (you don't have to say how much) and if you don't have a pic of that chin then find one here or online elsewhere of a similar coloured chin so people know what they're looking for. And contact the local shelter to let them know to call you if they do happen to take in a chin.

It's also possible that Squeak is still inside the apartment building and may be hiding in the laundry room or any other room for that matter as well as if there's an underground parking lot.

She has not found him yet. They have a live trap under some bushes, but really are concerned that he is long gone- they have construction workers making tons of noise, most likely scaring him away. They have his dust bath out and keep shaking his treat jar hoping he may show up.

I told her to put up signs and call the local animal control and humane societies, and am still hoping for the best. To make things worse, the owner of the chin is her son, a vet, who lost Squeak on Memorial day, how sad.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but how does a chin get outside, in Florida no less? At this time of year I'd guess the A/C is on, so it's not like you'd be leaving the front door open for a breeze. Even if the door was open, the chin would have to be left unattended, in the main area of the house, to get outside. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this even happened. I sure hope this little guy is okay, but Florida is really hot for a chin outside.

Yes, I am very anxious about this little guy as well. I would be nervous about a chin getting out from anywhere, but especially in Florida. The longer this chin is missing, the more likely the end will be disastrous...I wouldn't be doing anything right now except searching for that chin until it is found.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but how does a chin get outside, in Florida no less? At this time of year I'd guess the A/C is on, so it's not like you'd be leaving the front door open for a breeze. Even if the door was open, the chin would have to be left unattended, in the main area of the house, to get outside. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this even happened. I sure hope this little guy is okay, but Florida is really hot for a chin outside.

From what I was told they had a door open I believe. The weather here has been actually cooler than usual since we have had so much rain. But.. by cooler I mean high 70s low 80s. Even though we live in FL I sometimes have my windows open (with screens) to let in some fresh air (not the chin room, they have their own seperate A/C unit). Live here long enough and a 80 degree day doesn't seem that hot.

This may sound really stupid but Its worth a try. I would sprinkle flour around the walkways of the house. Atleast if they see any chin foot prints they know hes still in the area...

I think the point she was making, that even in the high 70s/low 80s a chin shouldn't be running around the house if they don't have the windows/doors shut and the a/c on, because that's too warm for a chin..

Either way, I'm sorry they lost the chin, maybe someone will find it and bring it to the humane society..

Hello everyone, Squeak is my chinchilla, and I'd like to clarify and update everyone who has been beyond helpful. I truly thank you for all the help. First, our little Squeak or Squeak Monster because he's a very adventurous and smart chinchilla, loves to get everywhere. He's a rescue that I got from a local pet store during one of their animal rescue adoption weeks. The animal rescue group had saved him from a skinning farm that was set up near here. He was the runt out of the two chins left. He was seriously under weight, had bite marks on him and fur missing from some areas. Along with an infected toe and ear. They wanted to give up on him but I wouldn't. So I brought Squeak home, took him to the vet and slowly nursed him back to health. His health rebounded and he really came alive again. Since then he has become a loving member of our family. Yes, Squeak does have a cage. Its a large cage, with flying saucer wheel, plenty of ledges, a little house and a lot of toys and some snuggle buddies. And yes he does get a lot of free run/play time outside his cage. But that's because I work as an EMT and when I'm home I like to spend time with him and play. Plus he loves to just chill out and watch movies and tv with me. He's always in the a/c because yes Florida is hot. Squeak was having some play time when he got out. My mom was leaving to go for a walk and he left the room and shot straight for the door. I think its mostly because he's very curious and the fact that he loves to sit at the windows and look outside. I know you all know how fast a chin can run when they want to. My mom says she didn't even see him run out the door and it was only open for the time it takes to open go out and close it. At first, I thought he was inside when he didn't run right back. But after a little too long of quiet, which for Squeak isn't very long at all. I searched everywhere in the hope he was inside. But then I found some poops on the steps outside. I have diligently followed all the advice everyone has given and I'm very thankful for it. I've ended up only sleeping while at work because I spend all my other time searching for him and hoping for something new that might help. Squeak is a loved part of my life and my family. He holds a special place in me and my girlfriends hearts as we want him to have a long happy life with us. And I'd do anything to have him back right now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Again thank you and I hope Squeak shows up very soon. He's a hardly little guy and I hope he makes it back home where he's missed.

Back