Chin jumped for 2nd floor of FN

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solarsis

trained by expert chins
My boyfriend was taking care of the chins while I was out tonight and Jigsaw decided to take a leap from the top of the second floor of her FN. She landed on the apartment floor and seems to have cut her upper lip...there's a spot of blood that has been drying up. The bf is very freaked out that this happened on his watch.

I got home and checked her over. She does not seem to be in any pain and is acting pretty normally. No reaction to being palpated and she's already back to begging for treats. She's eating, pooping and drinking without problem. She just has a (drying) bloody lip. We've called the emergency vet and they told us to monitor her overnight and watch for any lethargy or weird behaviour. We'll be taking her for a check up at the regular vet tomorrow for sure.

Just to make sure we're thinking straight here, should we be bringing her in tonight or am I being an over-reactive chinnie mama?

I think that if she's acting ok that she should be fine until tomorrow. Do as they had said, if there is no behavior changes within the next 24 hours then there probably isn't any head trauma to worry about. She's probably fine. Since she jumped and did not fall, she probably just landed wrong and bumped it on the floor. Boy, that's a big leap. She must have misjudged the distance. Hope everything goes well for her.

I have a couple of chins that love to "sky dive". They have never hurt themselves doing it, thank God. I agree just keep an eye on her for any changes. She'll probably be fine.

Hope she is ok. Do you have any blu kote you can put on the cut to help ward off infection?

We woke up three times last night to check on her and every time she gave us the "what the heck are you doing here at this time of night?" look then came over for a treat. I think she's doing fine...

We called her regular vet this morning and he felt that seeing her for a checkup would be good, but didn't feel it was urgent considering her behaviour and the checkup that we did. So we have an appointment for first thing on Monday morning, which is the earliest non-emergency slot they had.

Today she's been running around, eating and sleeping as usual. Her little lip is also looking much better. We're continuing to keep an eye on her but so far it seems that she is ok...only our nerves have been shot! They really love to give us heart attacks, geez!

It's great that she managed that little adventure without much of a problem, but I agree with the vet - a checkup is probably a good idea. They hide injuries so well, and you'd hate to have something like that go unnoticed. Good luck!

It is worth keeping an eye on her incisors - if she had a bleeding lip then she may have bumped her face - incisors have been known to break off a while after trauma like that so it is good to check them daily.

It is worth keeping an eye on her incisors - if she had a bleeding lip then she may have bumped her face - incisors have been known to break off a while after trauma like that so it is good to check them daily.

Thanks for the tip. We'll keep an eye on them for sure.

We got lucky at the vet today. Her lip and gumline are a bit bruised but there were no signs of chips, cracks or breaks anywhere. Whew!

I asked the vet about the possibility of a tooth breaking and he said it was possible but didn't feel it would be likely in this case. We'll continue to keep an eye on them anyway but I was a bit relieved.

Back