Chin food intake amounts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcdnchinx

I have two chinchillas. The 1yr old male doesnt seem to be growing much in size compared to my other chin. My 2nd chin is about 8 months old and he's way larger then my 1 yr old.

What is normal about the amount of food consumption? Both of the chins have their bowls with food available to them, however the 1yr old doesnt seem to gain weight.

Any suggestions?:hmm:

I dont believe he is sick as he is drinking and pooping as normal.

i have 2 in the same cage, born at the same time but one is almost 100 grams heavier.
if they are given the same food and treats than i think it is just like any animal......genetics. if they are in the same cage, you should put two food bowls so that one isnt being a piggie. sometime i take one otu for playtime & not the other, so they each get a chance to have some alone time and eat hay or pellets if they choose.
the amount of pellets that they comsume is usually about 1/4 cup. i usually cover the bottom of their food bowl with food and there is some left. its kinda trial & error. when i check on them in the afternoon........i check their bowls. if they are empty i would give some more but that rarely happens. they wont overeat. but honestly its best to keep their hay consumption up.....helps wear the teeth down. i refil hay more than food. too much hay and they end up tossing & peeing on it. and since i use the oxbow....i tend to try not to waste it.

thank you. Well they are in different cages, the heavier one i only received about a week ago. The previous owners weren't very informed about chinchillas, so i know he received alot of treats. I was just more concerned that my 1yr old was so much smaller.
I think iw ill just feed more hay..
thank you:)

if they were on low quality feed and high amount of sugar treats, they can lose a significant amount of weight.......sorta like being on a healthy diet! also you may take them out more than their previous owner and now they get more exercise contributing to weight loss.
just make sure they are both on high quality pellets, lots of hay, some playtime and minimal chin accepted treats and unless they show signs of illness, like no food intake or small poop, then i wouldnt worry.

Chinchillas come in all different sizes. Honestly, unless your older male is pooping less and eating or drinking very little, I wouldn't worry. It sounds like he is just a smaller chinchilla.

Back