Chin can't figure out flying saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethanyShondark

Hi -

I installed Thaddeus' flying saucer wheel this morning but it seems like he can't figure out how to get on it and run - any suggestions?

1 questions and a comment-
You are referring to the metal flying saucer, correct? Chins are more averse to the plastic ones because they don't feel sturdy.

Your chin may take a while to figure it out. I had one that figured it out the first day, and the other it took a month. Give him time, and if he doesn't figure it out, you can try holding a treat over it and making him chase the treat.

Thaddeus has a metal one. I tried the treat trick today and he jumped on and immediately jumped off.

I second the idea that you want to give him time. We have several flying saucers here in our rescue cages... some chins will pick them up in a short time... others just use the saucer as a poo-collector for what seems like forever... and then one day it's like there's a miracle and they'll be running on it. I think they practice when we're not looking ;p But some chins never do seem to figure them out.

Update: He's finally figured out the flying saucer! He doesn't run on it for more than a minute at a time but he seems to be having fun finally!

It took one of mine 4 months to figure it out. In the beginning he could only run for a minute and had to rest. He can run longer now, but is still no where close to the time the other one can run on it. I guess, just like people they have to increase their fitness level over time.

Sometimes they take a while to sort it out. Some just never like it! My dwarves loved their FS though, I prefer them over wheels because you get a better stride I think.

We have 2 chins, and our female got the hang of it the same day I installed it. But after 2-years the male finally started using it last week. Luckily we have different wheels in their sleeping cage and their FN142 play cage :)

All I can say to you is BE PATIENT...haha it took my chinchilla near 6 months to start using his...Just happened all of a sudden one day, looked funny as heck when he started using it too...lol

Chins learning how to use wheels, especially a saucer can be somewhat entertaining. They can pick it up pretty quick, but it can also take a while. You just have to be patient. I've had chins who tried going so fast the first few times, they've flown off. :D

You can also try putting a treat on the wheel if your chin is reluctant to jump onto it. Mine just started using his one day, no treats or anything needed. I just left the wheel in his cage and due to natural curiosity, I guess he just finally got the courage to jump on, haha.

When my two chins lived together neither one figured out how to use the flying saucer I had in my cage for months, over half a year I think, then one day Haltija realized it made a great if rather annoying rotating object to stand on so that he could chew on the bottom of certain shelves. Somewhere along there he suddenly figured out how to use it, and never stopped running on it after that.
Domovoi on the other hand, never figured it out, or simply never became interest enough in it to be bothered. He prefers to just race all over his cage

Back