chin bit other chins toe off

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillClark

one of my chins bit the others toe off before, there weren't a lot of blood, ive cleaned her cage, shes acting normal but i'm still a bit worried what can i do to help?

Keep an eye out for infection, if it gets infected she'll need an antibiotic from the vet. In the US there is an antifungal spray called Blu-kote that can be applied to wounds to keep them clean. Perhaps there is something similar in the UK? Try contacting ClaireD on the forum, she would know for sure.

One of my chins had her toe bitten off a few months ago, once it heals she should be perfectly fine :)

if there is bone exposed (that is what i think when i see 'bit toe off') i would be taking this chin to a vet asap, as antibiotics may be required to ensure infection does not set in.

as your link states, that product is 'for minor wounds and abrasions'. exposed bone is neither and requires a vet's attention. i personally would classify this as a definite need to see a vet asap. get your chin in to an emergency vet that is open tonight/today.

Just took my chin to the 24 hr vets, i got giving the worst advice of my life... his exact words "Go to the library and get a book"

He didn't even know what animal she was, also was surprised when i told him what cage she lived in, he thought she was a rabbit.

I wish uk vets would learn about chinchilla's. Thats the 4th vet i've been to who didn't know about chins :banghead:

Last edited:
whereabouts are you based in the uk? Have you tried asking on some of the uk forums about vets?

Regardless of whether the vet knew what animal it was or not... they should know how to deal with animals with exposed bones. I would expect the treatment to be the same for most rodents in this situation..antibiotics to avoid infection..

didnt even give me antibiotics, going to a different vet tomorrow morning

Back