Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
Not sure if I am posting this in the right category or not but...

While visiting my sister over the weekend, I was playing with her chin...when I reached through the bars to give scritches...he started nibbling my fingernail....then biting on it. I took my finger out and came back a few minutes later and he did the same thing. Everytime I returned to him - he'd go right for my nails and start chewing. I don't have long nails, just natural nails, that could've been trimmed...there is plenty for him to chew on in his cage, pine shelves, pumice stones, loofahs, willow balls, etc.

My question is this - WHY would he be wanting to chew my fingernails? Could he be maybe needing calcium (thinking of other animals, etc.)???

a couple of my boys do this...........the new guys always do because I give them treats out of my hand, so they are looking for food! i think maybe they smell something they like or it is just a new thing for them.........i doubt it indicates calcium loss.

My chin will start nibbling on me...what ever comes at her first. My hand, my fingers, my toes, my clothes...for that reason I don't let her sit on my head for long because I'm afraid I'll go bald, lol. Nibbling is a sign of affection...so it could be just that. Maybe your fingers have some delicious smell on them too. But I don't think your chin is gnawing on your fingernails from some deficiency. Check the chin's teeth and make sure they are nice and orange. If so, calcium is not an issue at all.

My little boy nibbles too. It feels kinda strange - he doesn't bite, it's like he's grooming my hands. I think it's a show of affection on his part. Sometimes when I'm holding him, I'll go to give him a kiss, prior to getting his kiss, he will "beep beep" my nose - silly little boy!:kiss:

Kenai's been with us for over a year now, and he's still a huge fan of "trimming" my nails. I don't think it really has much to do with food/treats, as he doesn't do that when we're giving him a treat - just something he likes to do I guess! He's also tried to pierce my nose a few times...

Back