Chewing electrical wire

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think we get blu-kote in Canada, now that I'm looking a little... :(

I have two kinds of soap- antibacterial handsoap from the dollar store, and dishsoap, also antibacterial. Both have colorings and acids- I'm not sure this is safe to put on a chin. :(

The antibacterial hand soap is fine. I'm sure my vet wouldn't suggest it if it could hurt them. I use a team of 2 vets that are both very knowledgable in chins.

I've used the antibacterial soap on several chins when they have been in a fight or gotten an injury and have never had any issues. If you are worried then after you wipe the wounds with the soap, wipe again with a rag with just water. You can order blu-kote online from several places as well.

I have been reading through this and firstly, I am happy your chin didn't get shocked when chewing on the cord. My chin actually had reached through her playpen and got a hold of a cord from a fan we had in a window. She chewed the heck out of the cord, several inches long and down do the wire. I hadn't realized the cord was damaged until after the fact, but I was lucky because Tinkerbell never did show signs of getting shocked or burned or impacted. I am so careful now about how close anything, especially wires are to the cage.

It also sounds like your chin is eating and pooping fine, although some of us feed our chins acidophilus regularly to aid in digestion.

If your chin's paw isn't broken, and if he isn't chewing on his foot, it will most likely be ok and is just sensitive right now. Just continue to watch that it appears to be getting better, not worse(using it more rather than less) and that there are no signs of infection.

Keep us posted on how your chin is doing! Good luck!

Definitely keep an eye on the chin, but I wouldn't worry too much. The exact same thing happened with one my chins several months ago. We forgot my girlfriend's phone charger was out when we gave the chins some playtime, and, sure enough, one of them chewed right through the cord! Luckily, these cords are very low voltage (usually 5 or less) and don't pose any real danger of shock. We don't think my chin actually ate any of the cord, and I doubt yours did either.

It's lucky to make this mistake with something that poses little threat--I'm sure both of us will be on the lookout for these things more often!

Warm water and epsom salt soaks will do just as well as antibacterial hand soap and probably not sting nearly as badly. Plus, if the paw is injured or swollen, the soaks will help to take the swelling down.

Thanks to everyone for their kind advice and support. This morning, I spoke to my regular vet for his advice, and he said to keep an eye on the paw for 24 hours, and bring her in after that if there's still an issue. I'll check her when I get home from work, and keep a close eye on her. Double treats! (READ: teeny tiny organic rosehip pieces. :))

I spoke Regarding the epsom salt soaks, tunes- do you think I should just put the combination on a papertowel/cloth, or soak her foot in it physically?

Whichever works. I've done both. You can blot it on, but it does better if you can actually get her to soak it. Since it's a front paw, if you can hold her without her spazzing, use one of those little medicine cups like comes on Children's Tylenol bottles or something similar. That way instead of trying to shove her into something, you bring the something to her.

If that made sense.........

No, that made perfect sense! :)) The only problem being, of course, she is no big fan of being held and not spazzing. Well, I'll see what I can do.

Back