Cherry Wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
Hey, I have a quick question. What exactly makes Cherry wood toxic to animals? I've been researching and I get no answers. All I have read is that it is toxic, but no explanation why. I got some cherry wood twigs and sticks from my in laws' house, and before I knew it was bad, I gave it to my chin. He ate some bark off, and he was fine. I then found out that it was not good for him, so I immediately took it out but I am just curious why it is so bad. This was 2 days ago, and he has been acting normally since. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure either, but I know that pretty much any fruit trees with pits are not good. The only thing I can think of is that these pitted fruits have some cyanide and perhaps there's some concentration of it found in the wood?

hmmm, I haven't thought of that. I guess it's possible. One website said that the sap could be bad for them? but if it's completely dried out wood, it wouldnt really have sap, right?

Hmm, okay. Dang! My in-law's have so many cherry trees! and for the few minutes I let Buddha have one (not knowing it was bad), he LOVED it. Haha. I have some poplar trees in my back yard, so I guess I will have to try that instead!

Back