Check your chin teeth!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breevass

My Athena gets everything she needs. But this morning I checked her teeth and they were only dark orange on the center part of each tooth and white on either side. MAIN SIGN OF CALCIUM DEFICIENCY IN A CHIN!! Needless to say, she already has the mineral rocks, but we purchased a different kind and will be checking her daily. Just a heads up for other chin owners. Because it takes A LOT to check Athena's teeth. She does NOT like her mouth to be touched. The last remnants of her abusive past. So rather than stress her out, I just look during scratches. This is the first time I've actually been able to pull her lip back and see the whole thing. I don't need judgement. I have to deal with a HIGHLY sensitive and dramatic chin on a daily basis. I just want others to be aware.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Mine usually smile pretty big during scratch sessions, so I'll have to take another look to be sure with mine.

I noticed you're in Fairbanks -- I was there this Summer, beautiful area! Those -40 degree winters sound pretty scary though.

If a chin is on a high quality pellet and hay only diet, there should not be a issue with calcium intake if the chin has been healthy, the problem is when the chin gets too much phosphorus-in grains such as oats and other treats. Too much phosphorus will cause calcium deficiency, so your problem may not be insufficient calcium, but too much phosphorus.

Thank you! I'll definitely check her food and hay. Because they're both high quality brands.

And yeah this past winter got down to -60F.. Not for this chick!!

Back