Changing Names

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanofdmb84

it IS called 'fur'-niture
When we picked out names for our chins, we were under the assumption that both were males. Not surprisingly, one ended up being a female but by the time we found out, we didn't bother changing her name to something more girly. But....this has been bugging me since. Gizmo just doesn't fit her, and I've been considering changing her name. Over this weekend I was running through names for our newest edition, a little ebony girl (yep, the big news is out, she arrives this Thursday! *squeeee!*) when I came up with a great idea. I'm a HUGE Dave Matthews Band fan, and one of their songs is called Raven, and I thought that would be a perfect name for my little ebony girl. And since I've been leaning towards changing Gizmo's name too, I thought I would go with a DMB theme for my chins. :thumbsup: So Gizmo is changing to Pantala (Tala for short) and we are going to tweak Roo's name to GrooGrux (Groo for short). I've never changed any of my pets' names before, so this was a tough decision for me, but I'm really happy with their new and improved monikers and I'm sure they won't mind having more unique names.
So anyways, from here out I'll be referencing Tala and Groo (and Raven) instead of Gizmo and Roo...hopefully I don't slip up :cute:

I like the *new* name and love the Raven name. Congrats on your new baby. :D
I named my newest boy Gerard but my girls don't like it so they named him Autumn. Poor baby get's to be called a manly name and a girly name.

Cute names, but I'm not big on changing the names of animals that already recognize and respond to their name.

Cute names, but I'm not big on changing the names of animals that already recognize and respond to their name.

Me either...but in this case, neither of them respond at all to their names, even after 6 months. I figured sooner is better than later.

I renamed a rescue that I got from a friend who rescued her mom, sister and her. We didn't know the real names... Aimee dubbed them Duchess, Princess and Lady.

Lady is now Shima... and she answers to Shima... so I think they can learn new names. She was almost 2 when I got her. :)

I renamed both of my rescue boys.. The girl we got Bowie from never told us if he had a name, and Ziggy's original name was Pepper... All I could think when I hear that is that band Pepper and their song "Dirty Hot $#%" ... Not exactly what I wanted to associate with my furball, and I thought it was terribly uncreative. So I changed theirs. Sam and Dex got to keep their names cause I like the shows Dexter and True Blood, so that worked out perfect :thumbsup: Although, I think they are all completely confused cause I tend to call them all "Baby" when I talk to them... Ha.

I have to agree with Menagerie. I dont agree with changing the name of any animal who responds to their name, even if it is to girly or manly for it.

Although, if the any doesnt respond to its name what so ever, then I think it fine. I've changed 3 of my chins names.
Macy used to be called Lil Puff.
Chase used to be Willy.
MaveRick used to Chester.

Neither of them responded to their old names so I changed them. I waited about a week for Chase and Macy to make sure they didnt respond to their old names before changing them. With MaveRick, I changed his immedateily due to the environment he was coming from, I wanted a completely fresh start and new life for him, which meant a new name.

Back