Change in behavior the past 2 months

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookiFace1

My baby usually sleeps in her fluffy cube or her little house during the day. The past month + she has been sleeping on the floor of her cage in either two places. directly in front of the ramp to rest her nose on or in this area of the cage she has dug all the shavings out of. is this normal? is it because of the change in season?

Pt 2. to this question is whether her completely removing the shavigs from certain corners/areas of her cage is normal? Ive had her since June and again in the past month has been the first time shes ever done that..

What temperature is it in the room she's in? If you have a metal base pan, she might be removing the shavings and sleeping on the metal to get cool.

Woodrow changes up where he sleeps, sometimes in his house, in his tube, on his top ledge, sometimes standing up.... maybe she's hot and doesn't want to sleep on the fleece?

Woodrow also used to dig out corners of his bedding, he just liked to dig. I know he always dug the two front corners, I swear he thought he could dig his way out of his cage so he could run around!

I never let the room shes in get any hotter than 70.. is that still to warm? and the bottom of the cage is plastic and I figured maybe she got hot in the fuzzy cube but when I touched the bottom of the cage it didnt seem that cool to me...

PS Your baby is too cute!

Have you turned up the thermostat in the house since it's gotten cooler outside? Is the thermometer you're referencing the 70 degree reading on IN the room she's in?

I have two cages w/ shavings on the bottom and in BOTH cages, the chins remove all the shavings out of the house. Hilarious, I know. And no, I have NO idea why. Maybe it's scratchy.

The thermometer is in the room shes in, I keep it by the wall. and since im paranoid of her overheating ill open the windows, keep the ac off and put on a sweater than to turn on the heater.

LOL maybe this is just a chin thing, they like to remodel or switch it up every once in a while

My guy will change up his sleeping spot every once in a while. Thats fairly normal for him. He will also sometimes clear an area of shaving and sleep their as well.
Since my tray isnt complatly covered in shavings anymore, he will sometime come right up to the edge of shaving/no shaving area. He will lay down in the no shaving area and scoot out the shavings near their to lay his head down. And then next time, he will do the same thing. Over and over. So you can watch a progression day to day of the litter being moved inch by inch lol. Its kinda interesting to watch.

Back