Chacoal in the US

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

I love the charcoal mutation and I've known Claire's website for a loooong time. :nod:
Are there any breeders in the US that breed charcoal?

I knew of one breeder of charcoal in the US about 6 years ago. I know they don't breed anymore though and I don't know what happened to the charcoals. I don't think there are any breeders in the states or North America working with an untainted charcoal line.

Untainted meaning with no ebs mixed in the line?
Do you guys know why nobody's workig with that? Is it too close to ebs to be 'popular' ?

They used to be separate, but then people just mixed them together. I never found any in the US with a long search years back. I did find some people who had "mahogany" charcoals, which basically were just really, really red ebonies from what I could tell.

As for not being popular or what not, they don't have a pelt value because they are a "matte finish" type of chin. Anyone who would work with them would be doing it for the hobbyist value and since they would have to be imported, I think most people haven't bothered.

Claire's are beautiful. I'm glad the people in the UK are working with them!

Linda Clark of Cascade chinchillas is the only one I know of that has charcoals in her lines, but they also have eb in them.

I haven't found anyone working with sole "pure" charcoals either. I have been toying with importing, but I just don't have the funds to do it at this point.

Well if you do decide to Megan, write to me, I might be interested. Ever since I saw them years back, I keep thinking....one day..... That mutation and Blue Slate.

Last edited:
Anne thats what I've been saying for years now...One day I WILL get them! I may be 70..but I will get them :p

I've seen lots of chins born in my herd that are almost definitely Charcoal. I've also had a few I'm sure are Mahogany. The only problem is that the kits come from "Ebony" chinchillas. The first time it happened I went back to the breeder I bought a few of my ebonies from. She confirmed that she bought out an entire herd of chinchillas from Germany that had charcoals, not ebony. She then took that herd and mixed it in with her ebony chinchillas and never marked the different genetics on her pedigree, she just called them ebonies. Its too bad really!

Cheryl

Back