Caution with dogs and chain link fence!!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsnation

Caution person with dogs who are jumpers!!!!!!! I just got in from the emergency vet. $430 later with Skyy our dobbie mix. We had a tree fall on our back fence a little while back and Skyy got out and got a taste of no people supervision. We quickly fixed it but she wanted her freedom again so she tried to jump the fence and did not make it. She got a very deep laceration on her lower belly. Thank God it did not nick the bowls!!!! The vet got her stitched up and have her pain meds and anti inflammatory and a few others. I never thought she would try to just leap over the fence. We have a chain link fence with the two metal prongs that stick up. If you have a dog that likes to jump AT ALL I really suggest cutting off the prongs. You better believe me and hubby are cutting them off tomorrow. Thankfully Skyy is doing well considering. She was in a lot of pain but the meds are helping control that. The vets were very concerned that she would not get up and we had to wait unknowing what was going. Finally they told me she was shaking and non-responsive. They let us go back and I whistled for her and she jumped up and came to me like, momma get me home. I feel soooooooooooooo bad. I don’t ever want this to happen to any one else’s dog, so PLEASE BE WARE!!

I am so sorry to hear about Skyy, but glad he seems to be getting better. What a horrible story, but it cannot be that uncommon, can it?

What a horrible story, but it cannot be that uncommon, can it?

When I was in grade school my best friend had this happen to her family's English Bulldog. But unfortunately the dog was too badly injured and she died from complications.

Thank goodness your dog is going to be OK! $430 is chump change compared to what it could have been.

We unfortunately had that happen to a dog at our clinic and she jumped her chain link fence and didnt quite make it over and ended up puncturing an organ or something ... (I dont remember what exactly bc it was a few years ago) But she didnt make it... she kept internally bleeding and I'm sure it didnt help that the owner waited a day or two to bring her in. But it definitly happens!

Back