Catnip Q

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil_Branchette

This might seem like a weird question, but what exactly is catnip? Like, I know how it looks like some sort of a herb that's crushed, and green, but what does the cat do with it? Is the cat supposed to eat it? Play with it? If the cat's supposed to eat it, do you put the catnip in a bowl along with wet food or something? Why do cats like it anyway? I saw a baggie of catnip being sold, all crushed up, so I dunno how anyone would be able to use it for their cat...

Thanks Stackie! However, the article mentioned that licking catnip toys for cats is ok, but then, catnip gives digestive problems...Is this because there isn't lots of catnip on the toy?

Thanks Stackie! However, the article mentioned that licking catnip toys for cats is ok, but then, catnip gives digestive problems...Is this because there isn't lots of catnip on the toy?

I think that's just because the catnip is usually inside the toys. So unless they tear it open they can't really get to it.

I used to have a catnip plant, and I would let my cat eat fresh leaves from it - only one or two at a time though. It never bothered his stomach. Then one day while I was at work, he ate the whole thing. I don't know about the dried stuff, but I can tell you than eating an entire catnip plant will definitely upset their tummies!

Lol yeah, and cats get high on Valerian and something else I can't remember...Oh yeah, I also read the Wiki article, goodness all those hard words! Haha!

I have a pretty large patch of catnip in my yard. My cats sit in the middle of it and just smile! I don't know how much they eat, if they even eat it at all. The patch has been there for years and I don't know if it upsets their stomachs or not.

my friend had two cats and one would get VERY hyper and run around the house after eating it, and the other one would just lay down and stair into space. LOL

Latest posts

Back