Cat as healthy as possible...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil_Branchette

What are some ways to ensure that my cat won't get sick? I'm not worried about paying vet bills or anything, but it would be better for my cat if he is kept healthy and happy. I don't have Smoky at the moment, I'm getting him in two months, but I wanna make the necessary adjustments to make sure that Smoky will lead a healthy and long life. So far, we're gonna turn him into an indoor cat. That's a must, because there's gonna be a forest right outside the backyard of our new house, so who knows what is in there...coyotes...And indoor cats live longer lives...And, we're planning to switch Smoky to healthy, good food, with plenty of nutrients. I know it's also important to brush Smoky, because he has longish fur, and my friend doesn't like taking care of him because she never brushes him, and he gets ugly mats in his fur. Anything else I've missed? I'm just so excited about getting my first cat! My parents have had cats before, so they're really educated in the well-being of cats....=D

Good food, clean water, lots of toys, cat friendly plants, good litter and multiple litter boxes... these are keys to keep cats happy and healthy. I have two adopted kitties and one of them has urinary tract problems and has to be on special food. Just watch for problems (straining in the litter box, not using the litter box, not eating, little drinking, listlessness). My cats are pretty good at showing their ailments (which they don't have many), so if you provide a good environment, you shouldn't have a problem, or if you do, you should be able to tell very quickly!!

I highly recommend Revolution. Ask your vet about it. It is a top spot flea treatment like Advantage or Frontline, but it also kills intestinal worms AND ear mites which the others don't. Even if you keep him indoors, he could still get fleas!

I guess just the general stuff said above. With my cats (both are indoor), we give them baths every once in awhile and cut their nails as well. When their nails are long, they can trap a lot of dirty stuff in there, so be careful when you cut them! Try and make it a routine so your cat doesn't get stressed out. I would recommend scratching posts.

I would be a little bit worried about the spraying too since Smokey is an outdoor cat?

Good luck with the transition of outdoor to indoor and getting a new cat!

Latest posts

Back