Can't preform hair ring check

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aakopec1

A week ago I acquired a chinchilla from a guy who no longer wanted him. He was willing to part with him for little cost and I may have discovered why. I noticed that the tip of my chinchilla's penis is discolored and will not fully retract. He grooms it often and and sit hunched over like he is in pain sometimes. He is eating and peeing still. I just tried to give him a ring check and he was a trooper about it, but I couldn't get the penis out. Gently pulling at the tip while pressing around the base area didn't budge it. Any advice. Looking for vets online at the moment.

Also do you think he will forgive me for traumatizing him >< he let out some wines when my boyfriend visited the cage when I was done.

Oh goodness, I didn't think this got posted. after i didn't see it for a couple of days i thought the content kept it from getting posted. I did manage to do a check and sure enough he had a hair ring that I image has been there for quite some time. I removed it and as much as he disliked the process and as much as it seemed like he was in pain afterwords(fists were clenched and he was all balled up for a couple of hours), he did forgive me :)

He seems to be much more comfortable now and I don't see him grooming nearly as often. He's eating/drinking/peeing as normal but the tip of his penis is still darkened and grey. It's been two weeks. Do you think the color will stay? Should I be worried about it?

Back