can chins and guinea pigs play together?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen on youtube guinea pigs and chinchillas playing together and was wondering if that is a good idea or not? I have 2 male guinea pigs and will be adopting 2 female chins in a couple weeks and was wondering if they'd be able to "play" together? The chins will be housed in my finished basement but the piggies are housed upstairs in the backroom that leads to the basement. I also have a small dog that LOVES my little animals. We call them babies so everytime he hears us say babies he gets so excited! He is very good with the piggies and was very good with my hamsters when I had them. Would the chins be okay with him? Thanks! :)

It varies from chin to chin. Some of my chinchillas love to roam around with Almond my guinea pig. But a territorial male (that is kept alone as a pet) had gotten out and pulled her hair out. Thank goodness that it wasn't that bad (because she is a texel). Be careful when introducing them and watch for warning signs. They should never be caged together but they can play together during play time if it works out.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your 2 female chinnies!

I never let different animals together. Your pigs can pass along illnesses and so can your dog. Pigs and chins have very different ideas about play time and greeting other animals. Everything on youtube I take as a grain of rice. There is more misinformation on that website in particular than any other place.

I agree with dreamlite on this I would not let them play together at all your risking passing illness along. And if you've ever had to nurse sick chins back to health you would never want to have to do it again and would do any thing in your power to prevent it.. Why go through watching a chin become sick, vet bills, medication, possible hand feeding if the chin goes off its food... And that's if you catch it and react quickly, if you don't your looking at a dead chin ( they hide illness especially well)...
It's honestly just not worth risking the introduction of any other animal to a chin IMHO.

I have always been told no, that there is too great a risk for health issues, and GPs are much sturdier than a chin and one or the other could get hurt.

I wouldn't let them together, but that's just me. For the reasons listed and because there is no need too - you're going to be all the company he needs.

Back