Can chinchillas chew on these type of boxes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarilynTafolla

images

Hi I was wondering if my chin can chew on these type of boxes I had them laying around they're still new I read online that chins love chewing cardboard I just wanted to know if it was safe or not..

I would not let them chew on cardboard at all. If they swallow it, it can cause a blockage. Besides, the ink and glue used could be toxic.

It doesn't have glue you build it yourself.. and there isn't much print on it.. You see I was trying to build something for my Mocha( My chin ) and all I have are these type of boxes.

I would not let them chew on cardboard at all. If they swallow it, it can cause a blockage. Besides, the ink and glue used could be toxic.

Thats the reason i cant have cardbord anywhere around my chins. They dont mearly chew it. They will try to eat every last bit of it.

building box 'play areas' for your chin to hop through and hide in during playtime is fine. you do want to keep an eye on them to ensure that they are not actually ingesting any cardboard. chewing a little of it is fine though. don't keep cardboard items in the cage though, because that does raise the risk of them actually eating it and getting an impaction.

i make cardboard play things all the time for my boys, with different boxes. some have print on them, some are just plain brown cardboard. just be sure there are no staples or tape anywhere on the cardboard, and supervise the whole time.

Back