Can chin claws cause this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--Just wanted to throw in, Although it's already been ruled out, That Chinchillas are Hypoallergenic, There's no way you could possibly be allergic to the chinchilla itsself.

--Just wanted to throw in, Although it's already been ruled out, That Chinchillas are Hypoallergenic, There's no way you could possibly be allergic to the chinchilla itsself.

It has been ruled out in this case, but since you told me this, I can rule out anything else in the future ^_^ thank you very much.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of rash I get when my chins scratch me (just got one tonight). I have other allergies so I assume it is just a typical inflammatory response to unclean chinny toe nails. While not a contach rash, it is from very very light scratches, not enough to draw blood but enough to break the epidermis and let in microbes.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of rash I get when my chins scratch me (just got one tonight). I have other allergies so I assume it is just a typical inflammatory response to unclean chinny toe nails. While not a contach rash, it is from very very light scratches, not enough to draw blood but enough to break the epidermis and let in microbes.

Gotcha, it's still not gone, and the itching is getting less and less now. doesn't hurt when i scratch it.

i got my chinchilla from someone who was allergic to her. everytime the chin would touch her, even with her tail, candice said she got itchy and had a rasch.

I have a question for you then, Stackie. I've had my chin since the first of November last year, and I've never experienced any allergic reaction with him at all, as a matter of fact the only allergic reaction I've ever had was I got hives once that went away the next day caused by sesame seeds. But two weeks ago at a house that wasn't mine (they don't even have a chinchilla) I got hives like, all over. It was terrible. The next morning it got a little more dramatic when I got up to go to the bathroom, and ended up fainting and hitting my head on the porcelain of my shower. My parents took me to the ER because I wasn't responsive for a few minutes and was bleeding. The doctor didn't know what it was that caused the reaction but they gave me anti-biotics and I went home. Ever since then, I've had much less worse, but still mild itching every once in a while. And wherever I scratch, it swells up and turns into a red welt. I'm asking this, especially with such detail because I don't know if I'm allergic to my chin or not. Either way I'm keeping him but I'd really like to know if you've experienced something similar.
Anytime I get scratched by one of my chins, the scratch swells up into a red welt that itches like heck for a couple of hours. It's never developed into a bumpy rash though, just the welt.

You scratch yourself and the welts appear? I only get the welts when one of my chins scratch me with their own nails.

I noticed a week ago when Carl (My Chin) crawled into my lap i scooped him up. He hated it and struggled. I didnt feel a thing! But later on i noticed red marks on my wrist where he had his paws when struggling to get out of my hands. I dont know if my skin is sensitive or if he just scratched me well enough that it left a mark. it did dissapear and it didnt itch or anything. Does a chinchilla even have nails or claws? They must be tiny and dull becuase i never feel them :)

Yeah I get this a lot...I get welts from the chins but the bumps are what I think is an allergic reaction to something. I use calomine lotion (sp?) to calm it down and it usually works. Sometimes its on my back, sometimes on my legs.. it moves around

I too get nice big welts with redness and swelling with a Chin scratch, so does my sister. Seems to be a fairly normal reaction to them. I just stick some Eurax cream on it and eventully the itchy goes away.

I have allergies and they don't look like that so I know it's something different.

Back