Cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnimalLover87

What type of cages should be used for a chinchilla?
Can you use a C&C cage with a top?
Is it better to have more than one together?
Any suggestions on cages and bedding would be greatly appreciated.

If you take a quick look in this housing section of the forum you will find the answers to most of your questions. A lot of people will recommend FN's (ferret nation cages)... http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134 but there are several other types of cages out there. You'll find them all in this section of the forum.

I don't recommend a c&c cage for a chinchilla, they're way too active and chins are incredible chewers for those types of cages. Also, they just don't look sturdy enough to hold ledges, wheel, etc.

I noticed you are interested in hedgies as well. It's not recommended to house them in the same room as they both have opposite needs as far as temps are concerned. Hedgies need warm temps and chins need cool temps or they can overheat.

Last edited:
If you take a quick look in this housing section of the forum you will find the answers to most of your questions. A lot of people will recommend FN's (ferret nation cages)... http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134 but there are several other types cages out there. You'll find them all in this section of the forum.

I don't recommend a c&c cage for a chinchilla, they're way too active and chins are incredible chewers for those types of cages. Also, they just don't look sturdy enough to hold ledges, wheel, etc.

I noticed you are interested in hedgies as well. It's not recommended to house them in the same room as they both have opposite needs as far as temps are concerned. Hedges need warm temps and chins need cool temps or they can overheat.

Yea I'm doing research on both to see which is best for me to have. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate the link.

Back