Cage stain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevale

One of our chinchilla likes to pee on plastic and sit in it, as a result the fur around her lady parts is yellow, would that hurt her if we showed her?

It would depend on how badly stained and how much of the animal is stained.

You can make a paste out of baby powder and water and use a toothbrush to rub it onto that area. It will help take some of the stain off.

The judge might make a comment on "housekeeping" assuming the bedding is not being changed enough. But like Jags said it depends on how bad it is.

I can try to get pictures later, but her stomach is stain-free, but her butt is really dark yellow.

i just read that it is banned to use cornstarch on a show animal here on the forum. 7th post down: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30024

but for a pet chin that has pee stains, that doesn't matter. if you are going to show her in the future, using cornstarch now to clean up the staining would be ok i think. just don't use it right before the show to alter her colour at all. all you folk that do show your chins, would that be ok?

While it IS mentioned in that thread as being "illegal" on the show table...what is NOT mentioned is a timeframe. I think if it's used a bit before show it's okay. Someone may know a good amount of time before show...I'm not 100% sure. But I know definitely 3months before show should be safe as that's how long it'll take to grow a new coat.

Start combing it out now, combing will make a world of difference. When you are done combing or if you don't have a comb use a cotton ball or paper towel with strait vinegar and soak her bottom and a lot of it will come off. Then give a dust bath.

Don't dust bathe any more until the show. It will still be there but not as bad and mostly disappear when someone combs it out.

Back