Cage Setup

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin-chillin'

Hey guys. I recently bought a chinchilla. His previous owners sold me a fairly good size cage ( about 3ftx2.5ftx1.5ft) but I feel that it is lacking in a lot of the furnishings that a chinchilla cage should have. There are two wire platforms in the cage, but a lot of the upper area is still unacessabile. I already created a tunnel from a pvc pipe and fleece and I'm planning on building some wooden ledges if I can find the right kind of wood (does anyone know where I can find kiln dried pine wood? home depot and lowes both dont carry it). I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on how to create more things that he'd want in his cage such as hammocks, or ramps, or such. Or better designs for the shelves (I was just planning on attaching two small pieces of wood with hanger bolts)

Hello there new member. I have just joined this site today, welcome to CnH. You have a nice sized cage. I need to buy wooden platforms for mine because they're all plastic which is supposedly bad for chinchillas. I would ask questions about pvc pipe in the cage because chins like to chew on everything. You should definitely get an exercise wheel and some wood chew toys. My chin (which i have only had for a few days now) loves the lava ledge , which is a good perch spot and also good for their teeth to grind on. Best of luck with your chinchilla!

I'm planning on building some wooden ledges if I can find the right kind of wood (does anyone know where I can find kiln dried pine wood? home depot and lowes both dont carry it).

Check your Lowe's again and look for Poplar wood sheets. Thats what i ended up finding. And while selection is limited, my Lowe's had a much better selection and quality then the home depot did.

as far as the pvc pipe- make sure its completely covered with the fleece and that your chin wont be able to get at the plastic because not only is plastic really bad for them, but pvc also has a ton of chemicals

Back