cage cleaning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacoby

How often do you clean or should you clean your chinchilla cage? I do it every other day and I had someone tell me that was too often. Since they are frequent poopers it just seems that a healthy cage is a healthy chin. Am I wrong?(It wasn't someone here)

There's no such thing as cleaning too often. If you have the motivation and the time, go for it.

Personally, my cages are tiled so I vacuum every couple of days and wipe down the tile and change out the potty pan litter weekly.

I clean 1 cage a day which is working for now because I have 2 pairs and a single so only 3 cages. Soon though that single will be a double and we'll have at least one new CN. Yet again more fleece buying. I just bought 6 new yards for hedgehog weaning cages.

I have a single chin in a double level CN cage. HE tends to spend most of his time on the topmost shelf, so I sweep that off the most to keep it clear of poop (it gets flung EVERYWHERE otherwise). I usually sweep out the cage every couple of days with a small hand broom and dust pan I picked up at the dollar store. When the fleece liners start to get grody (every 1-2 weeks, depending on how much my little goof makes a mess or is inclined to pee in his litter pan 9.9 ) I pull everything out, sweep any lingering debris off the pans, change the liners, etc. I dont think you really can clean your cage too much. Especially if your chin is like mine and doesnt think twice about flopping out in an area where he's pooped..... I find bits of poop stuck to Pepper's sides/back from time to time and he never holds still long enough to make it easy to remove them.

My chin doesn't make such a mess so usually I clean out his litter once a week or every 2 weeks. Although I frequently wipe down his shelves

One of my girls decided not to use her litter pans any more, so every morning when i get up i check for pee to clean up. If you don't it can stain or eat into the metal pans i have. And i check through out the day and at night to.

I sweep out the cages once a day as im feeding them. Get all the poops and lose hay they threw away out of there.

And i change the litter as i feel its needed.

Back