Cage Cards

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulula

JandJChinchillas
hi
I just started using cage cards as my memory is not what it use to be and I was wondering what information is generally put on a cage card.
thanks
Jeanne

I just put what chins are in the cage and the cage number. That way they don't completely destroy their records if they get to the card in the holder. I file the records for each chin under the cage number that the chin is in and keep the file box in a safe place. I will put other information on the cage card if it helps me to remember to give someone meds or when babies were born or need to be weaned. Also, I like to put on the rescue cage cards when they got here so I know at a glance.

I have seen people put information on when the chins should be expected to have babies, how many babies are in the cage, when a certain chin was placed in breeding with another chin, other miscellaneous dates for other things and information on if a chin is available for sale or is sick and needs meds, etc etc.

You can put what makes it easier on you to manage your herd and remember everything.

Thanks Susan - that helps. I kind of figured it was a "whatever works for you" type thing. I have complete records on my computer, but I find that I am no longer readily able to remember kits birth dates.

All breeders here have a card with their animal number, color, sire and dame. The sire and dames colors are also listed. All newborn and growing animals get a card with the same info as the breeders along with their birth date. I also tend to make different notes on the cards to help my old mind remember certain things about them.

I used to put up the cards with their parents and colors and birthdates and numbers and such, but they would get a hold of them and shred them. If you use anything like that right on the cage, make sure that you have a back up system that is away from the chins. :D I lost some pedigree info years and years back when I put everything right on the cage...eventually I reconstructed it. Then I was told about using a book with all the information and keeping the originals all in a safe place.

Another thing that seems to help keep the card in place is to use a paper clip to hold the card in the holder. I do that, but I still have cage cards on the floor in the morning when I go in to see everyone.

I can't remember anyone's birth date either. The best I can do with the newer ones is remember the month they were born and the older ones I just roughly know the year because of their numbers.

I have a small herd, so just put their names, and date of birth, and herd ID on those sticky labels, and slap then somewhere on the cage. I don't have wire cages so they can't get to them.

Thanks for all the replies they are helpful. Tiffany thanks for the pdf that gives me ideas too.
Jeanne

All our main records, all 20,000 plus animals, is in two of our computers. I do not trust all the records to cage cards for sure and do not even trust having them on only one computer. I do like the ability to know who is who and what they are out of though without making a trip to the computer each time. Our cage cards are paper clipped to the front of our feeders so the animals can not get at them.

These are the cage cards that I use. I print them out on card stock and they work great.

This is pretty much what I use but I also have a place for their ear tag number, birth number and color I also mark the right hand corner with a K or S as soon as I create their card with the decision solely on their parents history. This indicates to myself to keep or sell that animal. Makes it a lot easier than checking my computer records when it comes to selling an animal. Of course it's not a fast rule to sell or keep, just an indication to check before selling.

I created my ID cards in Excel and can get 15 on the baby and male card and 6 front and back for the females. All the info on the breeding female goes on this card and also I keep a book to update my computer. Like others have mentioned - all originals are filed in the office. I've lost info in the beginning because of someone's curious little teeth too.

If you're interested in my Excel forms email me and I can send them to you.

Ronda

Back