Cage Almost Complete - Questions and Advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby88

My cage is almost complete! My hands are literally bruised and cut up from removing the wire shelves and ramps, but it was worth it! After I originally purchased this cage, I was really disappointed after looking at all of your amazing cages and setups. But I think it actually turned out alright.

Here's what the cage looked like when I purchased it
cage-1.jpg

Here's what it looks like now
cage-2.jpg

Much better, right?! I have a few questions though! Do you think the shelves are spaced ok? The chinchillas will only be about 12 weeks old when I pick them up. Will they be able to get around in there?

Also, the cage is a bit warped. There's a little space behind the shelves. Do you think there's a risk of getting their feet stuck? I'd hate to have any injuries!
cage4.jpg

The door is also a bit warped. I've tried bending it, but there's still a tiny space, probably half an inch. Do you think they'll be able to escape? (I'm going to take that plastic off, too.)
cage3.jpg

And the cage liner I made ended up being about an inch too small (but if I iron it, I actually think it'll fit better). I'm going to redo it, but do you think this would be a problem since the wire bottom is showing? I don't want them to get their feet stuck.
cage2.jpg

I also have a super cute wooden bridge I still need to put in, and I also need to get some hanging toys they can chew on. I also need to get a hay box and probably a better food dish. But it turned out ok, right?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

I've never had chins that young, so I can't answer many of your questions. Just wanted to tell you its looking good! I've heard young chins can be escape artists so I would prolly look for some metal zip ties for the warped door. That food or toy dish will be knocked off that shelf, but that's an easy fix!

Thank you! I'm not keeping that food dish. I'm going to get a new food dish and hay box. :)

I'll probably put the pillow in their hidey house, too. Just stuck it in the shelf for the picture.

I've never seen metal zip ties. I'll check into that!

Its looking really nice :D it looks so much better than before, my cage is a little warped too and i havent had any problems but my chins are older so i cant really say.

I also think it looks really good. One thing I'm concerned with is that there isn't something in the middle that can break their fall if they were high up or just playing with each other and flying around the cage. The shelves are spaced out well enough. How tall is the cage?

The cage is almost 5 feet tall. How would I go about putting something in the middle to break their fall?

I'm putting a wooden ladder in the middle, but I don't think that'll help much. Any ideas?

The wire bottom on the cage has small enough holes that it really shouldn't be an issue. There are breeders who use cages with similar openings. And I really wouldn't iron fleece, if you're not careful you can melt it. Besides, once you wash and dry it won't stay where you ironed it anyways. And chances are, the chins will try to move the liner anyways, some chins like to go underneath the liners.

In regards to having something in the middle....this could be like a larger shelf that comes out further...or some people have huge hammocks in the middle to protect from falls. :)

LOVE your fleece choice!

You mentioned you have a bridge to put in yet? If you can string it across the middle of the cage, that will help with falls.

Thanks, everyone!

I have some extra fleece. I might be able to construct a long hammock that can go across the middle of the cage. That's a good idea.

Is this better? I think I'm going to move that higher shelf down so the bridge isn't so steep.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 60
Me, personally, I don't like those types of bridges. The length of the opening is enough that the little back feet can get in between the slats and if they twist, well, then the chin is hanging there suspended by a back foot. This has happened and if not caught in time, can require an amputation. And with little babies bouncing around, I think it's even more of a risk.

I think it'd be a lot safer with a large hammock across the middle, or a solid shelf.

Hmmm...I guess I didn't think of that.

I still plan on making a large hammock going all the way across. I just need to go by more fleece first.

I bought a better food dish that they can't knock over. I also bought a second lava ledge (because I found a cheap one), and I'll be making a big hammock probably tomorrow.

As for the bridge i had the same one. I endedup taking it apart and removing the little wooden balls. So now its just boards.
I was afraid of an injury.

Especially with your babies being so young, that might be a good idea for you as well

I was thinking of removing the wooden beads. I'll see if that works better. I still might just replace it with a long hammock. I would absolutely hate to have any injuries!

I made a hammock that goes across incase they fall off the top shelf, all i did was get a large peice of fleece and hang in on hooks in the cage and altough they wont go in it to sleep, i have seen them fall off the shelf and land in it. I have also seen them throw hat in it and then go and lean over it later on to eat the hay :D

How's this? I still have plenty of time to change things around and make it better. I'm making some more fleece stuff and some cuddle buddies later this week.

I still need to purchase a few more things, too, but I think it's starting to look much better.

Attachments

• cagedone2.jpg
    cagedone2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 33
  • cagedone.jpg
    cagedone.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back