Cage adjusting for 3 legged Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcdnchinx

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to adjust a cage to accomidate a 3 legged chin?

Right now i have a large cage ( exactly like an FN142 but not a FN brand)

There are lots of wooden shelves in various levels.
I made little shelves "steps" covered with fleece so he would be able to hop onto the levels.

I would appreciate suggestions. :hmm:

Everyone I have talked to with tripods say they get around just as well as chins with all their legs and don't require any special care.

My tripod can do everything my others do except jump over the barriers at playtime. I do put pillows on his shelves but that is it. I even have a Chin Spin coming for him. He proved he could use it so he earned it. :thumbsup:

It depends on what leg is missing--is this a back leg or a front paw? The thing to take into consideration for a back leg is you should have lower ledges and nothing high. You wouldn't want your chin to fall and break his only good leg if it is the back leg that's missing.

While chins adapt very well to missing limbs they do so only because they do not realize they are missing. The brain does not know the limb is gone and continues to send information to the limbs that don't exist. That's why the chin can still jump and leap and will try to use a paw it does not have.

I have a chin with only one complete limb--a back leg. He has stumps for his other leg and stumps for his arms but no paws BUT he does not realize this and tries to do all the things a chin without this deformity does. So you have to be careful with them so they dont injure they good limbs they have left.

Back