Buying from a breeder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgphan31

So I'm still in the process of looking for my first chin, and was wondering how I should approach breeders.

What sorts of questions should I ask them, and what sort of things should I look for when I visit their kits? Any help would be appreciated as I am still very new to the process.

Thanks!

I would say it would depend on what you are looking for. If it is just for a pet, you don't really need to worry about pedigrees and such as long as the parents are healthy and have had no dental issues. For a breeder or show animal you would need to ask about fur quality and pedigree info, not to say if you just want a pet it can't be pedigreed and good quality. Good luck in your search.

When going to a breeders house/ranch you want to make sure that the facilities are clean and the animals appear to be without illness. Most people can give you a general background of their animals. Most breeders should be able (and happy) to answer any question you have but wont know to answer unless you ask.

If it is just for a pet, you don't really need to worry about pedigrees and such as long as the parents are healthy and have had no dental issues.

I would disagree here -- if you're going to an actual breeder to get a chin, I'd want to get a pedigreed chin. There are a ton of "breeders" out there that put any two chins together and sell the offspring. I wouldn't want to buy those -- just cause the parents may be healthy, without a pedigree to verify that they at least came from good breeders (causing the presumption that they're free from genetic issues), I wouldn't buy the kit. If you were saying you were going to a rescue or something like that, by all means, I wouldn't expect a pedigree. But if you're going to go to a breeder, I would want to go to a quality breeder, who has quality animals and shows them, pedigrees on the animals, belongs to MCBA/ECBC and so on.

if you're going to an actual breeder to get a chin, I'd want to get a pedigreed chin.

Any good breeder will every once in a while have an animal that should not be bred for one reason or another. These animals are sold to pet homes, often without pedigrees. Breeder will tell you why the animal shouldn't be bred...could be any number of reasons. Just keep that in mind.

Also, there are some very good breeders out there that don't let people into their home/barn. They're not necessarily trying to hide things from you...there are many valid reasons for not wanting strange people in your home and/or chinchilla area. If seeing where the animals are kept is important to you, ask up front if you are able to do so.

As a breeder, people usually ask me about what chinchillas I have available, the parents, how long I've had chinchillas, and any questions they have related to care (general care and specifics about what I do). I ask potential buyers a lot of questions to make sure they know what they're in for and that its a good fit. I do let people come over and see the chins, but not until I've talked with them a few times and I know that they are serious and have done some research (and I've determined that they don't seem like a weirdo nutcase).

If you are going to a needed I would make sure the parents have a pedigree. Weather or not the kit comes with one depends on what quality you are looking for. Ask plenty of questions. If they can't answer or seem reluctant to answer it always raises a red flag for me. I often as buyers several questions. How many chins they have, what thus are looking for, caging, and food are LLC common things I ask bout. I never rehome to anyone who doesn't answer the questions. There is always things to learn and if they aren't open to it then they mat not be taking proper care.

Back