Buy a FN 141 or start building my own cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
Caboose is in desperate need for a cage, as she's currently in a dog crate. She has a wooden second level and everything, but I worry about her getting bored eventually and chewing the plastic. And hard little chin feet on dog crate floors sound like racehorses.

We don't have much moolah right now, but I want to save up to get her a new cage. Would it be cheaper to get a FN 141 than build my own decent cage? It would have to stand up to a very rambunctious chinchilla, and as Knnick currently shares my room by necessity, there's always the danger that she'll have a seizure and knock into chin cages, so they have to be sturdy.

I'm also switching out my crummy pet store stuff for fleece, for those who have seen my photos. They've been such good girls, not chewing the fuzzies and plastic. Hopefully I don't jinx it before I can replace them with all wood.

have you looked at your local craigslist for a FN?
theres quite a few people (myself included) that have gotten theirs from there.

hmm well if you know of someone that wants a ferret you could give it to them lol. but me myself i recommend a ferret nation, basically cause i love the cage

i don't really know how much it'd be to make your own cage since i never really thought of it.

I do know someone who wants a ferret heh, but she can't take one right now. And the FN was actually a 142 that was being sold, $200 with ferret. I'd technically like to have a ferret but wouldn't want it in the same room as chins and then the cage crisis is still unresolved. ;)

Thanks! Technically I could steal from my savings account right now and nab one, it would give me a lot more room... bahahaha....

Caboose needs a cage because your two girls stole hers, Christine! :tease: But it was way too big for just one chin anyway.

Now my dad and I are considering getting a FN 142 so we can split it in half, giving Ozzy a new cage as well. Would that work? it would be divided into two 141's is our plan, basically.

Sweet. ;) Ozzy is in a pretty small cage, this will be super. Thanks guys! And Sandi for pointing me to Amazon, didn't even cross my mind for some reason.

yah - the FN142s are great to split - and crazy sturdy... wife and I fell in love with them (bought 3 used ones in Aug/ Sept, picked up another in Nashville today and will pick up 2 more in PA in 2 weeks - should be all set on cage space for a hot minute)... also, try using craigsy.com - lets you search multiple areas in a radius from zipcode you put in all at once - much easier to do than going to each city in a region's craigslist site...

now, if I would just get off my duff and put some pics in the FN club thread... bad fluegel, no donut!

Back