building my own cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lovette's Kara

Tobi has a chinchilla cage like this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074864
minus the ledge (He has a wooden one and a hammock), minus the wheels, the bowl (he has a stainless steel one that attatches to the side) and a glass water bottle rather than the plastic one, plus I think mine is slightly bigger and the top opens up much more than this one does.
Nonetheless, I hate it for various reasons, I imagine you can already guess...

So, finding a lack of cages I like here in town and not really wishing to get from outside of the city for another various reasons, I want to make my own.

What is the safest way to make a chinchilla cage? I have seen many use wood frames, but would is be better to try using a wire mesh? Pros and cons?

I have found many wonderful sites with good instructions (Though if you know of some, don't hesitate to post). However, I was wondering if anyone knew of any videos of someone making a cage, since I learn better visually than reading.

You'll almost certainly want to build a wood frame, as working with stiff (high gauge?) wire takes specialized tools to work with. It's much easier to customize with a wood frame - probably with tools you already have.

The only disadvantage is that the wood probably has a shorter lifespan (wood vs. metal), but built well it will certainly last many years!

I also love to attach a solid surface to the cage... it keeps down the mess. A wood frame is best for this application.

Back