Building Flying Saucer; How to?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EKM

HI,

Sorry, couldn't find the info I was looking for through the search forum.

Would like to build a flying saucer and remember the old site had great and detailed instructions on how to do this.

Any help?

Many thanks, from my boys Kraz & Rex

I never saw anything about builing a saucer, but I have seen directions for a wheel.

I remember a thread that someone made a saucer but of course I can't access the old sight :(. It was a memeber that made there own I believe.

Hm, yeah I don't remember directions for the flying saucer either. Seems like it'd be a lot of work though.
A regular wheel would be easier to make.

Does anyone have the info on building the regular wheel, with possibly where to get a bearing that doesn't sound like a Mack Truck?

My husband and I build our wheels. We got tied of the plastic ones, and of course, with everything I have learned on here, we decided to search for supples to make our own. We buy the stuff from Tractor Supply: a round metal feeder pan, a bearing, some nuts washers, screws, and presto - nice quiet wheel.
DSC00072.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

These wheels are easy to make. They are quiet, but not silent. They are big enough for any size chin, and all of mine seem to love them. If enough people want specific step by step directions, I could get some pictures of us making another one and post the "how to" on here.

^^ What type of bearing do you use? I have used a lazy susan bearing and they are horribly loud.

Quiet Chin Spin

I found a site that had really good directions for a chin spin: http://www.spoiledchins.net/wheelinstructions.htm
I got all the pieces from Home depot for about $12.00.
I found it to be really noisy so I figured out a way to quiet it way down. I added a cork mat (also at Home depot in the gardening section, it sits underneath a flower pot and comes in several sizes) and another piece of 1/2" wood cut in the shape of the cork (circle) and attached it to the back of the pan itself and then attached the lazy susan bearings to it. I made sure to make the wood bigger than the cork so my chin could not reach it.Viola' it was much quieter.

The bearing we buy is called an "Idler Pulley" and it only cost about $13.

can you post directions for this? I want to get another chin but I want him to have his own wheel until I can introduce him to Hercules after quarantine. I hope to be getting me a new chin soon so that Hercules can have a buddy if he wants to and if not that will be fine to.

The bearing we buy is called an "Idler Pulley" and it only cost about $13.

Thanks I will have to check that out. I wonder if its any quieter than the lazy susan bearing that I have now. Have you tried both?

If you go to Berry Bearing [nationwide] with your old bearing, ask them for a needle bearing, sealed both sides, for a replacement.
Should last forever, be almost silent, and probably under $5!!
They're pre-lubed and sealed so dust can't get in and wear them out, and the needle bearings will keep the center from wobbling!

Back