Building a cage??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickster

i am going to build a cage for my 2 female chinchillas but have no idea how to start...........i know what kind of wood(poplar) and hardware cloth size and all but i dont want something huge...........oh and i know i can use malemine instead of wood because of the soaking up wood does but is there anything else i can use

I like to get 16 gauge (16 gauge is sturdy enough to use without any other supports) 1/2" x 1" galvanized cage wire, and make my whole cage, doors and all, with that. I use c rings or hog rings to secure it together, some people prefer j clamps. I get my wire from klubertanz or critter-cages.com who has cheaper shipping. Making it all from cage wire gives the cage plenty of air flow, helping to keep them cooler. I get my metal cage pans from bassequipment.com

Melemine is great for the walls of the cage.
Kd pine can be used for shelving ceramic or marble tiles can be incorporated...
There are many things you can incorporate into your build

Best way I have found to proceed is to sketch it out with dimensions first/measure your space and try to make it as big as possible. Then you can figure out how much material you need, if any of it needs to be cut at the store how much you need to cut at home and how much every thing will cost. Keep in mind the size of boards etc is not exactly what it says it is, a sheet of melemine has an extra 1/4-1" (cant remember exactly what it is) all the way around and pine boards are usually smaller in width than they say. Always measure twice :)

I used melamine panels because it was easier to put them together. I made a little cardboard model of it first, just for a visual. That helped a lot!

I used melamine panels because it was easier to put them together. I made a little cardboard model of it first, just for a visual. That helped a lot!

I'm about to start building my cage on my next day off and never thought to make a model of it first. I've never built anything in a very long time (lol since woodshop in 7th grade)!! This is very helpful...never would of thought of it! :hug2:

Back