Bucks and Does?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terbear24

TLCuties
Is that correct terminology for male and female chinchillas?? I have never heard them called that before but came across a new breeders website and they were calling them that!

No, it's not. Those are rabbit terms, and most likely they are people involved in rabbit breeding that dabble in chinchillas. I've run into a few 4H rabbit breeders here in PA that have a breeding pair or two of chins.

Last edited:
Ok yah the more I look at the website they havent done a whole lot of research on chins bc they have some really weird pairings and they have a 5 month old chin female in breeding with a male!!
I thought the same thing about the rabbits but they didnt have any rabbits listed on their website! I thought that maybe I had missed something with the chins!

They may have used to raise rabbits or couldn't find a chin mentor so figured ehh... rabbit, chin.. whateva...

They must be doing internet research, alot of sites call chins that, they also call kits kittens and tureturles.

They must be doing internet research, alot of sites call chins that, they also call kits kittens and tureturles.

I kind of assume kits was originally short for kittens, as with rabbits, rats and mice, though haven't seen the longer word used with chins. If that is indeed the case, I guess bucks and does would actually be in line with the terminology. I did see one chin book use those terms, though as we all know most chin books aren't particulary reliable, and I'm not sure if there really is an 'official' term. It's probably mostly determined by what people use, anyway (don't think there's any real reason guinea pigs should be called boars and sows, other than the history).

Back