Brushing, Baths, Dry Ears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MemphisChin

I have a couple of questions reguarding my chinchillas. I recently got a 2nd one and have thought of a couple of questions I havent been able to determine an exact answer for.

1. With having 2 chinchillas now should I have 2 seperate dust baths?

2. I have noticed my older chinchilla whos almost 2yrs old is either shedding or I scare him to death with trying to get him use to being handled. I keep hearing about a show comb #3 but yet I cant find a site that sells them. Suggestions?

3. Since getting a younger chinchilla I have noticed that my older ones ears have been picked on alittle by him. Them seem dry and a few places he has made bleed alittle. Is there anything I can do to make them soft again?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

I've never had separate baths for my girls but if your two are fighting over it in aggressive dominant way it would be best to provide hem with two of every thing many people suggest two food bowls, hay spots, water bottles so there are no territorial hogging issues going on...

Now if one chin is fighting the other and that's why your getting fur slips an bloody ears I would suggest you separate them.

Did you do a whole proper introduction? If so how did you go about it?

If its just dry ears you can use bag balm but I've never seen dry ears to the point where they bleed.
If they are that dry, how often are they getting a bath??
You can cut down on baths to help the dryness issue. Personally I would cut it out for at least a week or two if they are that dry... :/

Fur slips will happen but now that it's getting warmer chins will shed a good bit as well, I know my girl are!

you can get show combs from shoots or ryersons as well, I know shoots has them as I just purchased 2.

A warning... I tried to comb my chin and the 1st couple of times she pee'd on me. The last time she actually took my finger in her two little paws and chomped my finger. Needless to say, I never tired it again after that. On the plus side, she's also never felt the need to draw blood again to make her point.

There is no need to brush your chin unless you are going to show them. Most don't enjoy being brushed.

How did you intro your two chins? I would get two of everything, as mentioned above.

Back