Bringing Chins Across the Border

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliespooks

I may be moving to the states from Canada pretty soon and I was wondering if there are any licensing procedures that I need to go through in order to bring them across.

If you're driving I believe you just pay a fee at the border. From what Serena told me (Canadian resident who shows in the US) you don't even need a health certificate.

Christiane (saphire) brings chins to the USA quite often. We've had 2 rescues go over the border to their new home. As long as the animal is healthy you should be fine.

I have been detained for bringing chins across twice. No one ever seemed to know if they required special licensing and paperwork (they don't) and we were always questioned about why we have them.

Strangely, I always called Fish and Wildlife ahead of time and they always said I just needed a specific paper (don't remember what it was - I haven't done it in years) and would be fine.

So just be aware that you could be detained. I went across two other times where I was good to go. I was always crossing near Buffalo, NY.

You need to contact the U.S. veterinary services located at the border. Call a US border Vet. at 360-988-2971 between 8-4:00 M-F and he will let you know what documentation you will need. Dr. Lee will be who you talk to. My hubby works for Customs and advised me as to what you will need.

My twins (and one of Dee's girls) were shipped from Canada to the US and I needed to get a bunch of paperwork from Fish and Wildlife. I'm guessing that driving is different - how are you planning on getting them to the US? driving or plane? if you are flying you'll need paperwork and I would highly recmommend finding out where on the plan they will be and how they are handled.

in my case they were handled as cargo. I made a point of calling ahead (a week, the day before and again that morning) and talking to a person who handled all live animals on the flight they were on. He was supper nice and made sure they were taken care of and that they were held in an office, not the huge cargo hold area. And this was at JFK airport in NY, so if they would do that for me I'm sure smaller airports will be just as helpfull. I think being in an office was great for them (I was there a few hours later and would have been there as soon as they arrived, but lucky boys cought an early plan (happens with cargo) and arrived 12 hours earlier than I expected.

Even if you're flying on the same plan, not all airlines handle non cats and dog the same way and they may not come off the plan with your lugage - you may still need to talke to the cargo people.

BTW - where are you moving?

I have always been detained when bringing in Chins from Canada to the US. Wether it be for pets staying in the US or shows. From one boarder to another the time differs. The main thing is to have a health certificate 24hours ahead of time only. If you can go thru St Catharines later in the evening. They are pretty good and usually fast.

Back