Breeding age questions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winknfox

"Loving my chinchillas"
I am considering buying a female that is 3yrs old. The owner has never attempted to breed her. Is she too old to consider buying for breeding? I ask because a few sites I have researched on say that if a female hasn't bred by 2 yrs. than she probably never will.

Also between what ages are perfect for breeding? I may eventually want to breed AFTER I research and learn as much as possible.

The other option I have is a female that will be 2 yrs old in January. Which would be the better choice? Is it better to start with a younger female?

Are you buying these females from a reputable breeder? They should be able to tell you. I'm not a breeder, but I don't believe 3 years is too old. I do know that no matter what their age, some females won't produce kits.

After a female hits about 3 years without having had a pregnancy, the chances of complications increases. Complications would be, kit dying in utero, kit getting stuck in birth canal, etc. Even with a younger female, these complications are a possibility. Breeding is definitely not something to be taken lightly. There's a big responsibility that comes with it, no matter what animal you are breeding.

I know you mentioned in your wanted add that you are having a hard time finding a breeder, if these are pet store chins or chins from craigslist they should not be bred. If they are coming from someone who bought them from a breeder, you need the breeder's information and to talk with that breeder to make sure these chins were intended for breeding and also to find out if the breeder is even reputable.

Yes, and I will be talking to her tomorrow. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on here. There seems to be quite a few knowledgeable people on here. I think this forum is great for new owners and breeders.

You've gotten some great answers in this thread.

I just wanted to point out that you are still in the very beginning stages of your research. Feed, colors, etc. Any female you get right now with the intention of breeding is (hopefully) going to be MUCH older by the time you're ready to take on breeding.

Thank you all very much for your input. After reading all this and reading RDZC Ranch's page on breeding(which is very informative), I have decided to get a female or two that are babies and give them and myself a year or two to get educated on everything...so now I will be on the lookout for a breeder in IL. I have seen a few posted on here that I am going to check out.

Thank you all very much for your input. After reading all this and reading RDZC Ranch's page on breeding(which is very informative), I have decided to get a female or two that are babies and give them and myself a year or two to get educated on everything...so now I will be on the lookout for a breeder in IL. I have seen a few posted on here that I am going to check out.

Just an additional note: Most breeders do not make a practice of buying kits with breeding intentions. Those that look GREAT really young may turn out not to look great as they mature (and vice versa).

My suggestion would just be to save your money and buy some really exceptional breeding stock when you're ready to start breeding. :)

Ok so what age is best to buy for breeding stock? Also, is it better to buy breeders that are proven or that haven't been bred yet? I am not in a rush to start breeding, but it doesn't hurt to learn everything now. I appreciate the info.

It will help if you can visit some chinchilla shows. You'll get to see many exceptional chins as well as meet breeders and judges who are happy to help you in person. Find a mentor who is willing to advise and "coach" you.

Usually, there are chins available for purchase at shows.

Opinions will differ on ages and whether they're proven or not. There are some people who buy breeding stock from ranchers who've retired them but they may only be a few years old. Sometimes you can get a great deal from someone who is getting out of a certain color and selling some proven breeders.

Latest posts

Back